Recover Messages from an Exchange Database Block-Level Backup
Applies to: Exchange 2010, Exchange 2013, Exchange 2016, DAG and stand-alone environments
You can recover individual messages after you perform a block-level backup of an Exchange database. Recovering messages from block-level backups is performed in two steps:
- You can use this recovery method for Public Folder databases for Exchange 2013 or later. If you want to restore messages from Public Folder databases for Exchange 2010 or earlier, use the Exchange Offline Mining Tool.
- Live browse is not supported from backups to tape libraries or virtual tape libraries.
- Out-of place restore operation to another Public Folder mailbox is not supported for recover messages.
Before You Begin
- Enable block-level backup.
- Make sure that the MediaAgent is prepared for recovering messages.
- If necessary, change the location of the cache for the restored extents.
- By default, you can recover messages only from a full job. If necessary, configure the MediaAgent so that you can recover messages from incremental jobs.
Last modified: 5/21/2019 10:27:35 AM