Configuring SharePoint Agent for Office 365
On the computer where you want to install the SharePoint Server Agent, do the following:
- Verify that the computer does not have any SharePoint applications installed.
- Install the Microsoft .NET Framework 3.0 and 4.5, and PowerShell 3.0.
- Add an Azure storage account. To complete this procedure, you must have an Azure subscription. For more information, see the Microsoft Azure documentation, Create a storage account.
- Verify that the Azure storage account has "Resource Manager" as its deployment manager and "General Purpose V1 or V2" as its account kind. For replication, select the low-cost option "Locally-redundant storage (LRS)". In the Advanced tab, verify that "Allow access from" is set to the default option "All networks". You need this information to perform Office 365 restore operation later.
- SharePoint Online Migration API that is used during a restore operation requires Azure storage. During a restore operation, the Azure storage account is used as a staging location.
- You must have a tenant admin URL, like https://<office_365_tenant_prefix>-admin.sharepoint.com. Also, verify that the login credentials for the SharePoint online administrator user account that can connect to the tenant URL must have either SharePoint Administrator role or Global Administrator role assigned to it.
- From the SharePoint admin center window, under Access control > Apps that don't use modern authentication, select Allow access.
- For SharePoint Office 365, Job Results folder size should be twice the size of the largest web (subsite). This temporary space in the Job Results folder is to accommodate staging of the Site Collections and subsites during a backup operation.
- The default tenant setting for LegacyAuthProtocolsEnabled is true. Changing it to false will impact connectivity from Sharepoint Online Management Shell to the tenant. Also, the backup operation is not supported, if you change LegacyAuthProtocolsEnabled to false.
- Assign SharePoint Administrator or Global Administrator role to the account.
- An account is assigned the Site Collection Administrator role automatically during the scan phase of a backup operation.
- Do not use a $ sign in the password for the SharePoint online service account.
Multi-Tenant SharePoint Online Proxy
To configure the same SharePoint online proxy for multiple tenants, create an Office 365 backup set as admin, and assign tenant admin role permission for the company user or user groups. This ensures that only the relevant backup sets are displayed when the tenant admin user logs in.
Review each of the following topics to get started with the installation:
- Prepare the Installation on Windows Computers
Review general guidelines to prepare for the installation, which include configurations that your computer might need before the installation.
- Preinstallation Checklist for the SharePoint Server Agent
Review agent specific guidelines to prepare for the installation, such as gathering the information that you must provide during the installation.
- Installation Methods
Select the installation method that is most appropriate for your environment.
What to Do Next
Last modified: 6/22/2020 12:17:18 PM