Configuring SQL Transaction Log Backups to Back Up Read-Only Databases
The SQL databases that do not require any architecture or data updates are marked as read-only. These databases do not require periodic backups as no changes are made to them.
If you want to back up read-only databases each time you perform a transaction log backup operation, run one of the following procedures. The choice of procedure depends on whether you want the setting for the whole CommCell environment or just an individual client:
- On the SQL Agent Configuration dialog box, select the Allow transaction log backups for read-only databases check box. This sets the property for the entire CommCell environment, and impacts all SQL clients.
- Create the additional setting bSkipTLForReadOnlyDB. This sets a SQL client-level property.
Note: Enabling the backups does not change the Log Serial Numbers (LSNs) for the read-only databases. This impacts data aging, and the data is retained due to the chained log backups.
Change the Setting from the Control Panel for the Entire CommCell Environment
This procedure sets the necessary property for the whole CommCell environment. Consequently, when the setting is changed in this procedure, each SQL agent will be configured to run transaction log backups for read-only databases.
- On the CommCell Console ribbon, click the Home tab, and then click Control Panel.
- In the User pane, click SQL iDataAgent.
The SQL Agent Configuration (SQL Configuration) dialog box appears.
- On the SQL Configuration tab, select the Allow transaction log backups for read-only databases check box.
- Click OK.
Create the Additional Setting bSkipTLForReadOnlyDB for the Individual Client Level
- To the client computer, add the bSkipTLForReadOnlyDB additional setting as shown in the following table.
For instructions about adding an additional setting from the CommCell Console, see Adding or Modifying Additional Settings from the CommCell Console.
What to Do Next
Last modified: 10/26/2020 7:30:06 PM