Performing a Block-Level Backup Operation on SQL Databases
Applies to: SQL Server on Windows
After enabling block-level backup operations on a subclient, all database backup operations that you run on that subclient are full backup operations. Transaction log backups still run as traditional Virtual Device Interface (VDI) backups.
- Unless otherwise noted for a particular feature, block-level browse is not supported from backups to tape libraries or virtual tape libraries. If you want to perform a block-level restore by using a secondary copy on tape libraries or virtual tape libraries, move the copy to disk storage before performing the restore.
- Block-level database backup operations use SQL VSS Writer. As a result, all restrictions for VSS restore operations are applicable.
- From the CommCell Browser, expand Client Computers > client > SQL Server > instance.
- Right-click the subclient, and then click Backup.
The Backup Options for Subclient dialog box appears.
- In the Select Backup Type pane, select Full as the backup type.
- In the Job Initiation section, choose whether to run the backup job immediately or on a schedule.
- Click OK.
If you chose to run the backup job immediately, you can monitor the progress of the backup job in the Job Controller window. For more information, see Job Controller.
After the backup job is complete, you can view the backup job history. For more information, see Job History.
Last modified: 5/9/2019 6:33:20 PM