Configuring SQL Database Application Migration to an Amazon EC2 Instance
You must have an Amazon EC2 account that contains an Amazon Machine Image (AMI).
The following options are available for EC2 instance creation:
- After you create an Amazon Machine Image, you can create an EC2 instance.
- When you perform the migration, configure the Commvault software to create the instance.
For instructions about creating EC2 instance in Amazon Web Services, go to the Amazon Elastic Compute Cloud Documentation.
- Create an Amazon account.
- Obtain a user access key by using AWS Identity and Access Management (IAM). For more information, go to the Amazon IAM User Guide website, Managing Access Keys for IAM Users. You use the IAM user access keys to control access to specific AWS services and resources for an AWS account.
- Create an Amazon Security Group with the appropriate rules. For information, go to the Amazon Elastic Cloud Compute Documentationl website, Amazon Security Groups for Linux Instances.
- Create a Amazon Machine Image for Red Hat Enterprise Linux. For information, go to the Amazon Elastic Compute Cloud Documentation website, Creating an Instance Store-Backed Linux AMI.
You can use an AMI available from Amazon, or create your own custom AMI. If you create a custom AMI, you must verify that it is valid before you use the Commvault software.
This is the AMI that hosts the EC2 instance.
If you do not have an Amazon key pair, you must create one. For more information, go to the Amazon Elastic Compute Cloud Documentation website,Amazon EC2 Key Pairs.
- Create a custom Windows AMI that has a SQL server installed.
- Configure the permissions to access AWS resources. When you use the access key and secret key for an IAM user, you must have appropriate permissions, which can be any of the following:
- Amazon EC2 Full Access
- Administrator Access
- Custom permissions to access AWS resources
For more information, see:
Record all of the Amazon information, for example, the user and the key pair, before you start the Commvault configuration.
SQL database application migration uses the File System Agent to move the SQL application. You must have a storage policy configured for the default file system subclient (Subclient Properties dialog box, Storage Device tab, Storage Policy) and the SQL default subclient (Subclient Properties dialog box, Storage Device tab, Data Storage Policy). If both are administered, the software uses the file system subclient storage policy.
- Install the workflow engine.
- If you have not done so, install the SQL Agent.
For more information, see Getting Started with the SQL Server Agent.
- Configure an Amazon virtual client.
You can install the Virtual Server Agent on the MediaAgent host.
Note: When you create the client, the Commvault software creates a client group that has the same name as the virtual client.
- Create a VM lifecycle policy for Amazon.
- Configure the firewall settings for application migration.
For more information about configuring the firewall settings, see Application Migration Firewall.
Last modified: 4/15/2019 2:55:57 PM