Synchronizing Data on the Disk and the Index for the Windows File System Agent
Starting Service Pack 10, the synchronization of data on the source disk and the index (reconcile backups) runs automatically. This topic describes how you enable this feature for upgraded clients or subclients.
After you enable this feature, the subsequent backup job compares and identifies the missing files from the subclient content on the disk and the index. The missing files are then included in the backup job.
A scenario that might result in the discrepancy is a cut and paste operation on a file that does not change the modified time of the file. As a result, when you use the recursive scan method, the file is not picked up during the backup operation.
- We recommend that you upgrade the client and the CommServe computer to the latest service pack version. You can also enable this feature using the subclient policy.
- If the synchronization operation picks up any missing files, then the incremental job is linked to the synthetic full backup. As a result, when an auxiliary copy operation runs for the synthetic full backup, the incremental job is also copied.
Before You Begin
- You must have Indexing Version 2 on your client computer.
- This feature is not selected by default on upgraded clients and subclients created using the command line interface.
- Until you run a new backup cycle, the previous cycles are not pruned. If you want to prune the previous backup cycles, then disable the Retain jobs in previous cycle until Source Files and backup index are synchronized in latest cycle parameter.
- From the CommCell Browser, expand Client Computers > client > File System > backup_set.
- Right-click the appropriate subclient and click Properties. The Subclient Properties dialog box appears.
- In the Subclient Properties dialog box, specify the basic settings for the subclient:
- In the Subclient name box, type the name of the subclient.
- On the Content tab, add the content to be backed up.
- Click Advanced.
The Advanced Properties dialog box appears.
- On the Advanced Options tab, verify if the Reconcile Backup check box is selected.
- If the Reconcile Backup check box is cleared, the reconcile backup operation still runs automatically after every incremental job that runs after a synthetic full backup operation.
- If you experience slowness in scan time after you enable this option, create the bIgnoreTrueUpChangeTimeCheck additional setting on the client computer. For instructions on adding the additional settings from the CommCell Console, see Add or Modify an Additional Setting.
- In the Every n days from the previous backup job box, enter the number of days after which any backup job will automatically synchronize the missing files.
You must specify a minimum value of 7 days else the value is automatically set to a default value of 30 days.
Note: By default, the reconcile backup operation runs after every incremental job that runs after a synthetic full backup.
- Click OK.
- On the Storage Device tab, in the Storage Policy list, click a storage policy name to associate with the subclient.
Tip: To create a new storage policy, click Create Storage Policy and follow the instructions in the storage policy creation wizard.
- Click OK.
Last modified: 2/24/2020 10:07:27 AM