Creating User-Defined Subclients for NDMP Backup Operations
Because file servers may contain large amounts of data, you can create user-defined subclients to manage your backups. User-defined subclients are optional because a default subclient is automatically created by the software.
User-defined subclients can be used to back up the following:
- Specific file systems or a portion of a file system
- Different directories on a file server
For example, a file server has two directories that you want to back up. Create a user-defined subclient for /fs1/dir1 and another user-defined subclient for /fs1/dir2.
- From the CommCell Browser, go to Client Computers > client > NDMP > backup_set.
- Right-click backup_set, and then select All Tasks > New Subclient.
- In the Subclient Name box, type a name.
- On the Storage Device tab, in the Storage Policy list, select a storage policy name.
Note: For version 9 MediaAgents, the NDMP Remote Server add-on must be installed on the MediaAgent to select storage policies for all resources attached to the MediaAgent.
- On the Content tab, select a volume or file system from the Backup Content Path list and add the subdirectory if necessary.
For some vendors, you can also click Browse to browse for the content that you want to add.
Note: Not all vendors support browse or the list under Backup Content Path. For vendor-specific information on when browsing for subclient content is supported, see Guidelines for Adding Subclient Content.
- Click Add.
If the selected data is already included in any other subclient in the same backup set, it will be excluded automatically from that subclient. However, if it is included in any other backup set, it will not be excluded and will get backed up twice.
- Repeat the preceding steps to include all the volumes, files, and directories to be backed up in the subclient.
- Click Close.
- Click OK.
Last modified: 10/31/2019 8:48:55 PM