Configuring Oracle Subclients for Offline Backups
Configure the Oracle subclient to perform a full backup of the Oracle database when it is offline. Full backups include all datafiles, tablespaces, and the Oracle database control file (SP file of pfile). Offline backups do not include the archived log files.
You can perform offline backups when the database is in either offline or online mode.
When the Oracle database status is in online (or OPEN) mode, the database is shut down and brought back online after the backup completes.
You can use the Oracle lights-out script which runs before the Oracle database is shut down, to perform unattended Oracle backups. Refer to the Oracle manuals for the complete lights-out script configuration. Record the location and name prior to subclient configuration.
Optionally, you can configure the following settings for a subclient:
- Exclude the following data from backups:
- Read-only tablespaces
- Offline tablespaces
- Inaccessible datafiles and archived redo log files
- Assign a unique tag for the backup which you can use to identify the backup during a restore
- Include the control file, which is required to recover the database to the current state, as part of the backup
- Include the SP initialization file
Before You Begin
- Configure an instance for the Oracle database.
- Optional: You can have data and log backups use different compression. If you want to use the MediaAgent for compression for log backups, see Enabling MediaAgent Compression for Oracle or Oracle RAC Log Backups.
- From the CommCell Browser, expand Client Computers > client > Agent.
- Right-click the instance, point to All Tasks and then click New Subclient.
The Create New Subclient dialog box appears.
- On the General tab, in the SubclientName box, enter a name for the subclient.
- On the Content tab, specify whether the backup is a full backup:
- Select the Data check box.
- Select the Offline Database option.
- If this subclient is for full backups, select the Backup Control File and Backup SP File check boxes.
- On the Storage Device tab from the Data Storage Policy list, select the storage policy that the software uses for data backups.
- Optional: Select the subclient options.
- Click OK to close the Create New Subclient dialog box.
What to Do Next
Last modified: 3/23/2018 6:29:01 PM