Configuring Oracle Subclients for Online Backups
In some environments, you cannot bring down a database to perform an offline backup. In such situations, you can perform an online backup, where the database is up and running during the backup.
You can perform either a full backup or incremental backup of the Oracle database when it is online.
Full backups include all the datafiles, tablespaces, and log files. Incremental backups include only the changed data and log files and take less time to run than full backups.
Optionally, you can configure a subclient to exclude the following data from backups:
- Read-only tablespaces
- Offline tablespaces
- Inaccessible datafiles and archived redo log files
Before You Begin
- Configure an instance for the Oracle database.
- Optional: You can have data and log backups use different compression. If you want to use the MediaAgent for compression for log backups, see Enabling MediaAgent Compression for Oracle or Oracle RAC Log Backups.
- From the CommCell Browser, expand Client Computers > client > Oracle.
- Right-click the instance, point to All Tasks and then click New Subclient.
The Create New Subclient dialog box appears.
- On the General tab, enter the Subclient name.
- On the Content tab, specify whether the backup is a full backup:
- Check the Data check box.
- Select Online Database.
- If this subclient is for full backups, select the Backup Control File and Backup SP File check boxes.
- On the Storage Device tab from the Data Storage Policy list, select the storage policy that the software uses for data backups.
- On the Logs Backup tab, if this subclient is for full backups, select the Backup Archive Log check box.
- Optional: Select the subclient options.
- Click OK to close the Subclient Properties dialog box.
What to Do Next
Last modified: 3/23/2018 6:59:30 PM