Configuring Subclients for Oracle Archive Log Backups
You use archive logs backups to recover database transactions that have been lost due to an operating system or disk failure or to recover lost database transactions.
You apply the archive logs to an online backup to recover the database.
Create separate subclients to back up log files because they help ensure complete database recovery.
You can create an automatic schedule to automatically run a database log backup when specific criteria are met. For example, you can request that a log backup run when the archive log destination fills up to a specified capacity. For information on how to configure an automatic schedule, see Creating an Automatic Schedule for Database Log Backups. When you configure the automatic schedule, select a backup type of Full on the Backup Options tab of the dialog.
By default, when you discover or create an Oracle instance, the Commvault software automatically creates a default data subclient and a default archive log subclient.
Best Practice: Do not modify the default archive log subclient properties.
If you don't want the software to create the default archive log subclient, you can disable this feature by setting an additional setting. For more information, see Disabling Automatic Archive Log Subclient Creation.
Before You Begin
- Configure an instance for the Oracle database.
- Optional: You can have data and log backups use different compression. If you want to use the MediaAgent for compression for log backups, see Enabling MediaAgent Compression for Oracle or Oracle RAC Log Backups.
- From the CommCell Browser, expand Client Computers > client > Oracle.
- Right-click the instance, point to All Tasks and then click New Subclient.
The Create New Subclient dialog box appears.
- On the General tab, in the Subclient Name box, enter a name for the subclient.
- When you have not enabled control files as part of all subclient backups, on the Content tab, clear the Data check box and then select the Backup Control File check box.
If the automatic control file backup is configured for subclients, the Commvault software adds AUTO BACKUP CONTROLFILE ON to the backup script. For more information, see Enabling Automatic Backups of the Oracle Control File at the Subclient Level.
- On the Log Backups tab, select the Backup Archive Log check box.
- On the Storage Device tab, in the Storage Policy list, select the storage policy name for the log backups.
Note: You must provide a storage policy even though the log backups do not use the subclient storage policy. Log backups always use the storage policy that you define for the Oracle instance (Instance Properties dialog box, Storage Device tab, Log Backup tab, Storage Policy used for all Archive Log backups).
- Optional: Manage log file backup options, see Managing Oracle Log Files on a Subclient.
- Optional: Select the subclient options.
- Click OK to close the Creating New Subclient dialog box.
What to Do Next
Last modified: 3/9/2020 7:56:54 PM