Installing a Custom Package on Windows Computers Using the Answer File
You can install the custom package in silent mode by using the answer file, rather than by using the installation wizard. The answer file is the .xml file that contains the parameters and values that were selected during the custom package creation and is included in the package.
Installations in silent mode are also known as unattended installations.
- If the custom package was configured to prompt for user input, the installation in silent mode skips the installation prompts and uses the default installation settings. To interact with the installation prompts, install the package by running the setup application. For more information, see Installing the Custom Package on Windows Computers.
- If the custom package consists of only the answer file, you must have a separate installation package on which you can run the file. The answer file needs the software binaries from an installation package to install the software.
- You can customize the answer file. For more information, see Customizing the Answer File of Windows Custom Package.
Before You Begin
- Obtain the custom package from the location specified by the user who created it.
If the package is in the Download Center, see Downloading a Software Package in Download Center - Web Console.
- Based on the agents that are included in the custom package, verify that the computer on which you want to install the package satisfies the minimum requirements specified in System Requirements.
- If you have a 64-bit Windows computer and you need to protect 32-bit applications, you must configure a registry key to enable 32-bit agent installations. For more information, see "Alternate Method" in Enabling 32-Bit Installations on 64-Bit Windows Computers.
- If you want to use the authorization code during the silent installation, you must obtain it from the Command Center.
- Log on to the computer as an Administrator or as a member of the Administrator group on that computer.
- At the command line, go to the location where you stored the custom package and find the Setup.exe file.
If the package consists of only the answer file, find the Setup.exe file from a separate installation package.
- To install the package in silent mode, run the following command:
start /wait Setup.exe /play install.xml /silent /authcode authcode
Where authcode is the company authorization code, which is required if you did not enter the installation user's credentials when the package was created. To obtain the authorization code, go to Command Center Companies > Company name > General or CommCell > General.
Note: If the answer file is in a different location, update the command by replacing
install.xmlwith the path to your answer file.
- You can monitor the installation from the install.log file in the %allusersprofile%\Commvault Systems\Galaxy\LogFiles folder. If there are install error codes, see Installer Error Codes.
Register the client using the Edge Monitor application to register the client. For more information, see Interactive End-User Edge Monitor Activation.
If the registration using Edge Monitor is not available, the CommServe name was not defined during the custom package creation. In such a case, you can register the client by using the CommCell Console or through the command-line interface. If you do not have access to the console, a user with administrative rights in the CommCell must perform the registration for you. For more information, see the following topics:
Last modified: 1/9/2020 7:06:21 PM