Instance Properties (Storage Device)
Use this dialog box to establish the storage device related settings on the selected instance.
The following tabs are displayed:
Command Line Backup
Use this tab to select or view storage policy settings for command line backups on the selected instance.
Storage Policy used for user command backup of data
- When you create a new instance (Oracle SID), specify the storage policy used for command line backups and restores
- For an existing instance (Oracle SID), you can use this space to select another storage policy. A changed storage policy will apply only to new command line backup jobs (those command line backup jobs that you subsequently start).
Use this tab to select or view storage policy settings for archive log backups on the selected instance.
Storage Policy used for all Archive Log backups
- When you create a new instance (Oracle SID), specify the storage policy used by the subclients in this instance to back up archive log files.
- For an existing instance (Oracle SID), you can use this space to select another storage policy.
Number of Archive Log Backup Streams
- When you create a new instance (Oracle SID), specify the number of backup streams to be used for backing up Archive Log files. The maximum number of streams is determined by the value established for the Storage Policy.
- For an existing instance (Oracle SID), you can use this space to change the number of Archive Log Backup Streams.
Data Transfer Option
Use this tab to establish the options for data transfer. Note that all the options described in this help may not be available and only the options displayed in the dialog box are applicable to the agent for which the information is being displayed.
Indicates whether software compression for the subclient or instance is enabled or disabled, and if enabled whether it is performed on the client or MediaAgent computer.
- On Client
Click to enable software compression on the client computer.
- On MediaAgent
Click to enable software compression on the MediaAgent computer.
- Use Storage Policy Settings
Click to use the settings enabled on deduplicated storage policy copy.
This option applies when subclient is associated with a storage policy copy that is deduplicated. See Copy Properties (Deduplication) - Advanced tab for compression settings on deduplicated storage policy copy.
Click to disable software compression.
Note that hardware compression has priority over the software compression. Hardware compression is established in the Data Path Properties dialog box. The above software compression option will take effect when the data path is associated with a disk library, or when hardware compression is disabled in the data path associated with tape libraries.
For non-deduplicated storage policy copy, select On Client or On MediaAgent options to turn on compression, depending upon your environment.
Indicates the processes used by the client to transfer data based and whether bandwidth throttling is enabled or not.
- Network Agents
Specifies the number of data pipes/processes that the client uses to transfer data over a network. Increasing this value may provide better throughput if the network and the network configuration in your environment can support it. The default value is 2, and a maximum of 4 can be established if necessary.
- Throttle Network Bandwidth (MB/HR)
Specifies whether the backup throughput is controlled or not. (By default this option is not selected and therefore the throughput is not controlled). When selected, use the space to specify a value for the throughput. By default, this is set to 500. The minimum value is 2 and the maximum is 2147483647.
Use this option to set the backup throughput, based on the network bandwidth in your environment. Use this option to reduce the backup throughput, so that the entire network bandwidth is not consumed, especially in slow links. Increasing this value will end up consuming the bandwidth with the maximum throughput limited to the network bandwidth capability.
Note that throttling is done on a per Network Agent basis.
Application Read Size
This option specifies the amount of application data (such as SQL data, Windows File System data, and virtual machine data) backup jobs will read for each unit transferred to the MediaAgent.
The default value for this options is 64KB; however, this value may be increased to reduce the amount of data read from the given application, which in turn reduces the amount of I/O operations performed against it. As a result, overall backup performance may increase. However, backup memory usage may also increase, which may inadvertently consume additional resources from the application. Thus, it is recommended that this value be set at either the default value or match the block size directed by the application.
Use this tab to establish the options for deduplication on the subclient.
Use this option to enable or disable deduplication for the subclient.
When enabled, you can choose to generate the signature (a component of deduplication) on the client or on the MediaAgent computer.
- The deduplication is supported on disk storage devices. Therefore, the deduplication options are applicable only if the subclient is associated with a storage policy containing disk storage.
- For source-side deduplication, the signature generation always occurs on the client.
Click to enable signature generation on the client computer.
Click to enable signature generation on the MediaAgent computer.
Last modified: 6/4/2018 6:26:49 AM