Restoring Oracle RAC Control and SP Files
Control and SP files are required to recover a database to the current state. Restoring a control/sp file is useful in the following scenarios:
- If you want to restore the backup repository contained in the control file when the Control file is lost.
- If the recovery catalog is lost.
- If the recovery catalog was never used.
- If the catalog connect string is not specified for the instance during the backup.
Place the database in NOMOUNT mode when you restore the control/sp files.
Note: The database remains in NOMOUNT mode after the restore.
The Commvault software uses OS authentication (/) and not the connect string for control and sp file restores. You can use the connect string in place of OS authentication. For more information see Using the Connect String Instead of OS Authentication to Connect to the Oracle RAC Database.
When you restore control files, be sure to select only one node for the restore. During control file restores, Oracle puts the database in a state where other processes may not be able to access the database. Therefore, if you select more than one node, the job may fail if the database is inaccessible by all the nodes. Make sure to bring all the RAC instances offline except on the client configured in CommCell when you restore a Control/SP file.
- From the CommCell Browser, expand Client Computers > client.
- Right-click the instance, point to All Tasks and then click Browse and Restore.
- Select Latest Backup and click View Content.
- Optional: Use non-default Browse and Restore options. See Browse and Restore.
- In the right pane of the CommCell Browser window, select all the database, and click Recover All Selected.
- On the Oracle Restore Options dialog box, click Restore in place or Restore out of place, depending on the type of restore to be run. Then click Next.
The Oracle In Place Restore Options or Oracle Out of Place Restore Options dialog box appears.
- To restore the latest backup to the same location, on the Oracle Restore Options dialog box, select the Restore Control File check box and click OK.
- For all other restore options, on the Restore Options dialog box, select the Restore Control File and Restore SP Files check boxes and click Advanced.
The Advanced Restore Options dialog box appears.
- On the Ctrl & SP Files tab, select the Restore Control File and Restore From check boxes.
- Select the method to use when restoring the control file.
- To restore the control file to a new location, on the Ctrl & SP Files tab in the Restore Control File section, select the Restore SP File As check box and enter the path in the box.
- To set the Commvault software to automatically move the database to the correct mode before the restore, select the Switch Database Mode for Restore check box.
- On the Stream tab, in the Stream column, specify the number of streams to use for each Oracle RAC instance.
- Click OK.
- Click OK to start the restore.
Last modified: 6/5/2019 12:26:11 AM