BR*Tools Example: Backing Up Offline Redo Logs Using the BRARCHIVE -f | Fill Option
You can back up offline redo log files by using the BRARCHIVE tool with the fill option.
Backups are automatically triggered, based on the number of generated logs.
The SAP for Oracle Agent extends command line support to the BRARCHIVE tool with the fill option for both the RMAN and BACKINT device types.
Before You Begin
Perform the following procedures on the SAP for Oracle host.
- Create the init<SID>.sap and init<SID>.utl files.
- To back up, save and delete the archive logs by default, add the following parameter to the init<SID>.sap file.
archive_function = save_delete
- Optional: To avoid multiple job IDs in the same BRARCHIVE session, set the sSINGLEJOBMERGETIMEOUT additional setting. For more information, see Setting the SAP Oracle Job ID Timeout.
- Optional: To have the CommCell Console authenticate the job, configure the parameters for CommCell Console third-party job authentication.
About This Task
Run the brachive -f num_logs to start the backup process.
If you run the brachive -f num_logs command and do not specify any parameters, the logs are backed up and saved.
When you use the brachive -f feature, Commvault third party command line jobs are marked as completed with one or more errors when the user specified number of logs are not generated in default timeout period of 6 minutes for the ClDBControlAgent. You can increase the timeout by setting the sSINGLEJOBMERGETIMEOUT additional setting. For more information, see Setting the SAP for Oracle Job ID Timeout.
Restore the offline redo log files by using Third Party Command Line Restores, because the Commvault software marks the backup jobs that do not have the configuration phase as Completed With Errors, and are not available in the CommCell Console browse functionality.
Note: Stop the BRARCHIVE tool before you start a log restore. This ensures that the configuration phase backup is complete.
Do not use BRARCHIVE with IntelliSnap, because it can exceed the filer snapshot reserve. Set the snapBackup parameter in the SAP on Oracle init<SID>.utl file to 0 for log backups.
- On the SAP for Oracle host, start the archive. On the command line, type one of the following commands, substituting the number_logs variable.
BRARCHIVE waits until that number of files are created, and then moves then to the specified devices. This process repeats until you run brachive -f stop command.
- On the SAP for Oracle host, stop the archive that is currently running. On the command line, type the following command.
BRARCHIVE stops the archive process and invokes the configuration phase of the backup.
brarchive –f stop
Last modified: 3/21/2019 8:48:40 PM