Creating a SAP HANA Pseudo-Client
Create a pseudo-client and configure an instance to facilitate backups. Each instance references a HANA database.
Note: You must add all of the instance nodes to the pseudo-client so that you have data protection.
You can connect to the database by using the SAP HANA user store or a database user.
Before You Begin
If you use the SAP HANA user store, verify that the user associated with the HDBUSERSTORE key has the correct permissions:
- Backup operations: The DBA COCKPIT privilege is required. For more information, go to the SAP Documentation site, DBA Cockpit for SAP HANA: Authorizations. In the Database Users section, look at the Customer-specific user row.
To create a SAP HANA database user that has the required backup operation privileges, run the following SQL command:
CREATE USER MY_BACKUP_USER PASSWORD BackupOnly01 NO FORCE_FIRST_PASSWORD_CHANGE;
GRANT BACKUP ADMIN, DATABASE BACKUP ADMIN, CATALOG READ, INIFILE ADMIN TO MY_BACKUP_USER;
where MY_BACKUP_USER is the user name and BackupOnly1 is the password. The user must be created for the SYSTEMDB and all tenant databases, and the user must have the same password for each database.
- Restore operations or clone operations: To run the CREATE or RENAME statements, the DATABASE_ADMIN privilege is required. For more information, see the SAP documentation site, System Privileges.
To create a SAP HANA database user that has the required restore operation privileges, run the following SQL command:
CREATE USER MY_RESTORE_USER PASSWORD RestoreOnly01 NO FORCE_FIRST_PASSWORD_CHANGE;
GRANT BACKUP ADMIN, DATABASE BACKUP ADMIN, DATABASE RECOVERY OPERATOR, CATALOG READ, INIFILE ADMIN, DATABASE START, DATABASE STOP, TRACE ADMIN, SERVICE ADMIN TO MY_RESTORE_USER;
Where MY_RESTORE_USER is the user name and RestoreOnly1 is the password. The user must be created for the SYSTEMDB and all tenant databases, and the user must have the same password for each database.
DATABASE BACKUP ADMIN and
DATABASE RECOVERY OPERATOR privileges are supported on SAP HANA 2.0 SPS05 and later versions.
Before You Begin
- Decide how to connect to the database. If you want to use the SAP HANA user store, create a key.
For information, go to the SAP website, hdbuserstore.
- Determine the location of the SAP HANA hdbsql tools:
- Log in to the SAP HANA server with the sid admin credentials.
- On the command line, type the following command to find the location:
Use the location that the software returns in the hdbsql location directory box.
- From the CommCell Browser, right-click the Client Computers, point to New Client > Application, and then click SAP HANA.
The New SAP HANA Client dialog box appears.
- On the General tab, specify the connection details.
- In the Pseudo-Client Name box, type a name for the pseudo-client. The client name must be unique in the CommCell Console.
- In the SID box, type the name of the SAP HANA database SID.
- In the Number box, type the SAP HANA instance number.
- In the OS User Name box, enter the admin user name.
- Determine how to connect to the SAP HANA database:
To use the SAP hdbuserstore key, select hdbuserstore KEY, and then in the box, type the hdbuserstore key that you created.
To use the database credentials, select the DB User Name box, and then type the credentials that you use to access the SAP HANA database
- In the hdbsql location directory, enter directory that contains the SAP HANA hdbsql tools.
- On the Details tab, add the SAP HANA instances to the pseudo-client . You must add all of the instance nodes.
The Primary Name Server must be the first one that you add in a multi-node configuration.
- Click Add.
The Create SAP Hana client dialog box appears.
- From the Hana physical client Name list, select the client that hosts the SAP HANA instance.
- Click OK.
- Click Add.
- On the Storage Device tab:
- On the Command Line Backup tab, from the Storage Policy used for user command backup of data list, select the storage policy to use for command line backups.
- To select a log storage policy, on the Log Backup tab, from the Storage Policy used for all Archive log backups list,select a policy.
- Best Practice: On the Data Transfer Option tab, select the compression options.
- Best Practice: On the Deduplication tab, select Enable Deduplication check box and then in the Generate Signature on area, choose the client or the MediaAgent.
- Click OK.
The Commvault software determines if the database is multitenant by querying the database with the database credentials, or the ddbuserstore key.
When you have a multitenant database container, the software performs the following additional operations:
- Creates a backup set that has the SYSTEMDB database name and a default subclient.
- Enables the Discover Databases option on the pseudo-client.
What to Do Next
Perform a backup.
For more information on single database backups, see Performing a SAP HANA Full Backup.
For more information on multitenant database backups, see, Performing a SAP HANA Multitenant Database Container Backup.
Last modified: 12/4/2020 9:10:16 PM