Live Sync Replication for Amazon
The Live Sync feature enables incremental replication from a backup of a VMware virtual machine (source VM) to a synced instance in the Amazon EC2 (destination). This feature enables the Amazon site to serve as a disaster recovery (DR) site.
Note: You can configure Live Sync from one AWS to another AWS from the Command Center only. For more information about Live Sync, see Replication of Virtual Machines.
You can configure Live Sync to initiate replication automatically after backups or on a scheduled basis (for example, daily or once a week), without requiring any additional action from users. Using backup data for replications minimizes the impact on the production workload by avoiding the need to read the source VM again for replication.
Live Sync can be used to create and maintain warm recovery sites for virtual machines running critical business applications. Live Sync offers the following benefits:
- The impact on production servers is minimized because Live Sync uses backup data to create replicated virtual machines; backup captures virtual machine data in a single pass, and Live Sync runs on backup infrastructure.
- Live Sync is hardware agnostic. There is no need to reproduce the original hardware environment at the recovery site.
- The recovery time objective (RTO), the time interval between a service interruption and the restoration of services from the recovery site, is the time needed to power on the virtual machines at the recovery site. Automated validation and the ability to specify new network connections at the recovery site ensure that the startup time is minimized.
- The recovery point objective (RPO), the acceptable time interval within which virtual machine data must be recoverable, is determined by the frequency of backups.
- You can configure an auxiliary copy operation to copy backup data to a remote location where Live Sync operations are performed. Deduplication and compression reduce the amount of data that needs to be transferred over the wide area network (WAN).
- Orchestration features support continuity of operations:
- Planned failover to validate the DR site or perform maintenance on the primary site
- Unplanned failover for quick site recovery
- Failback to move operations back to the primary site
You can replicate Amazon EBS volume snapshots from one AWS region to another as described in Replicating Snapshots with IntelliSnap for Amazon. Snapshot replication does not support the DR orchestration features that are included with live sync replication.
Last modified: 11/9/2020 3:34:01 AM