Creating Subclients for Citrix Hypervisor (XenServer)
You can create user-defined subclients to protect specific groups of virtual machines. This approach supports different policies, options, or backup schedules for different categories of virtual machines.
When a virtual machine is included in a user-defined subclient, it is automatically excluded from the default subclient. Excluding protected VMs from the default subclient prevents the duplicate backup of any virtual machine by the default subclient. Duplicate backups still occur if a virtual machine is included in multiple user-defined subclients.
- From the CommCell Browser, expand Client Computers > virtualization_client > Virtual Server > instance.
- Right-click the backup set, point to All Tasks, and click New Subclient.
- In the New Subclient Properties dialog box, specify the following settings:
In the Subclient Name box, enter a name for the subclient.
Identify virtual machines to back up
- Click the Content tab.
- Use any of the following methods to identify the virtual machines that are included for the subclient:
- Click Browse to select specific virtual machines or hosts.
- Click Add to define a rule that automatically discovers virtual machines.
- Click Preview to display the list of virtual machines that are selected or identified by discovery.
See Adding Subclient Content for more details about identifying virtual machines.
Define filters to exclude virtual machines
Associate a storage policy
- Click the Storage Device tab.
- From the Storage Policy list, select a storage policy.
If necessary, click Create Storage Policy to create a new storage policy for the subclient.
Change the number of backup streams
- Click the Advanced Options tab.
- Enter the desired number in the Number of Data Readers box.
- Only one backup stream is supported for each disk.
- A Xen VM can have up to 16 Virtual Disk Images (VDIs) attached. For large environments, you can improve backup performance by configuring multiple proxies and less than 16 streams for backups.
- Click OK.
Last modified: 11/8/2019 3:31:08 PM