Enabling File and Folder Restores from VMware Backups Made Using Linux MediaAgents
For backups that use a Linux MediaAgent, you must enable restore jobs to use an alternative MediaAgent and drive pool to access the required media.
The index for the Linux MediaAgent is copied to the Windows MediaAgent selected for the browse and restore. This enables all volumes, files, and folders to be displayed when browsing a virtual machine.
Before You Begin
- The Index Cache must be on an NTFS disk.
- The MediaAgent package must be installed on the Virtual Server Agent proxy that is used for the restore.
To enable file-level restores from disk-level backups that were made using any Linux MediaAgent, perform the following steps:
- From the CommCell Console, click Control Panel.
- In the Control Panel, under Storage, click Media Management.
- In the Media Management Configuration dialog box, click the Resource Manager Configuration tab.
- For Allow restore jobs to use alternative MediaAgent and Drive Pool to access required media, click in the Value column and enter 1.
- Click OK.
For Service Pack 11 and earlier service packs, if the MediaAgent for a live browse operation is running on Linux, the operation replaces the MediaAgent with a VSA proxy running on Windows:
- If a Windows proxy is included on the proxy list for the instance or subclient, the live browse uses that proxy instead of the default MediaAgent. The MediaAgent role must be enabled on the Windows proxy.
- For Service Pack 11 and later service packs, if no Windows proxies are available for the instance or subclient, the live browse uses the CommServe system. The Virtual Server Agent and MediaAgent packages must be installed on the CommServe system.
Note: On the Commvault HyperScale Appliance, the CommServe software and the Virtual Server Agent and MediaAgent packages are pre-installed. If you are using a CommServe system on the HyperScale Appliance, you do not need to perform any additional configuration to enable live browse operations using VSA proxies and MediaAgents running on Linux machines.
For details, see Live Browse, Block-Level Browse, and Metadata Collection.
Last modified: 9/13/2019 1:05:50 PM