Creating a Snapshot Copy for SnapVault or SnapMirror
After you create a storage policy for SnapVault or SnapMirror (and the primary snapshot copy), you must create a secondary snapshot copy on the new storage policy.
Before You Begin
If you haven't done so yet, create a storage policy for SnapVault or SnapMirror.
Decide which topology you are going to use. Primary-Vault-Mirror is not supported on NetApp C-Mode.
For SnapVault or SnapMirror snapshot copies, use a storage policy based on the type of snapshot, such as NetApp 7-Mode and Cluster-Mode snapshots, as follows:
- For NetApp 7-Mode snapshots, use storage policies that are associated with OnCommand Unified Manager (OCUM) 5.0, 5.1, or 5.2. For more information on the provisioning policies for OCUM 5.0, 5.1, or 5.2., see Provisioning Policies for OCUM 5.0, 5.1, or 5.2.
- For NetApp Cluster-Mode snapshots, use storage policies that are associated with OCUM 6.0, 6.1, 6.2, 6.3P1, 6.4P1, 7.0, 7.1, 7.2, 7.3, 9.4, 9.5, or Active IQ Unified Manager 9.6 and 9.7. For more information on the provisioning policies that you can use with these OCUM versions go to the NetApp Library website and search for "provisioning policies".
- If you have ONTAP 9.3, then use OnCommand Unified Manager 7.3.
If you select the Vault/Backup copy, then the selective copy is selected by default and the default selection rule is All Fulls.
If you do not want the vault copy to be selective, then clear the selective copy option.
If you select the selective copy option when the vault copy is created, then the mirror copy option is dimmed.
To switch to a mirror copy at the time of creation, clear the selective copy option, and then to change the copy to mirror, select mirror.
If you create a snapshot copy as vault, then you cannot change the snapshot copy to mirror. If you create a snapshot copy as mirror, then you cannot change the snapshot copy to vault.
If you select a selective vault copy, then you cannot change the copy to a nonselective vault copy. If you select a nonselective vault copy, then you cannot change the copy to a selective copy.
- From the CommCell Browser, expand Policies > Storage Policies.
- Right-click the storage policy, point to All Tasks,and then click Create New Snapshot Copy.
The Copy Properties dialog box appears.
- Enter the following information:
- In the Copy Name box, type a name for the storage policy copy.
- For protection type, select either Vault/Backup or Mirror.
By default, if you click Vault/Backup, then the Selective Copy option under Copy Information is selected. You can clear the Selective Copy option. Or, if you want to use the selective copy, Configure Selective Copy for SnapVault.
- From the Library list, select the disk library.
Note: Select a disk library that uses, on the file server, a Common Internet File System (CIFS) share or a Network File System (NFS) export, or a logical unit number (LUN).
- From the MediaAgent list, select a MediaAgent.
- For tape libraries only, from the Drive Pool list, select a drive pool.
- For tape libraries only, from the Scratch Pool list, select a scratch pool.
- On the Copy Policy tab, clear the All Backup check box, and then, in the Backups On or After box, enter the start date.
- Click Specify Source for Auxiliary Copy, and then select the source copy for the topology that you want to set up.
- On the Provisioning tab, click Refresh to display the entities, and then select the provisioning policy from the list.
- From the list, select a resource pool.
Caution: After you select a vFiler, you cannot change your selection. Although you can select a different vFiler from the list, the data will continue to be replicated to the vFiler volume that you originally selected.
- Optional: Select the Select vFiler check box, and then select a vFiler from the list.
- Select vFiler appears on the Provisioning tab only if the storage policy is associated with OCUM 5.x.
- If you select Select vFiler, then all vFilers on the selected resource pools are displayed in the list. Use complete filers, not aggregates, as resource pool members.
- New volumes on this storage policy copy are provisioned under the vFiler that you select.
- Click OK.
Last modified: 4/8/2020 9:47:57 PM