Restoring SQL Server Databases to a Different Instance
Microsoft SQL databases (along with the logs) backed up using IntelliSnap can be restored to a different instance. This is useful in cases where the log needs to be applied, or where a point-in-time restore is required.
We recommend that you perform a Restore to Disk operation when only the databases are restored from an IntelliSnap backup.
Note: You can restore databases from one instance to another only if all the databases that you selected are IntelliSnap protected. If you need to restore databases from traditional and IntelliSnap backups, you can restore them separately.
Before You Begin
- Verify that the account used for impersonation on the source instance has access to the destination client.
- Verify that the account used for impersonation on the destination client has sysadmin role for attaching restored databases.
- Verify that the staging location or the UNC path does not contain files with the same names as the databases being restored.
- From the CommCell Browser, click Client Computers > client > SQL Server.
- Right-click the instance, and then click All Tasks > Browse and Restore.
- In the Browse and Restore Options dialog box, click View Content.
- Select the data that you want to restore, and click Recover All Selected.
The SQL Restore Options dialog box is displayed.
- On the General tab, select an SQL server from the Destination Server list.
- In the Database column, rename the database. In the Physical Path column, change the path of the database and the log files.
Note: Changed database names should be unique on both the source server and the destination server.
- Optional: In the Staging Path on Source Client box, type path of a staging location where you want to stage the databases before they are restored to the destination server.
- Verify that the staging location has enough space to stage the databases.
- If you do not specify a staging location, a UNC path is created based on the path of the selected databases.
- Select the Unconditionally overwrite existing database or files check box.
- Click OK to start the restore.
Last modified: 9/7/2018 6:39:36 PM