Manually Discovering Instances
Manually discover all existing Oracle databases that will be backed up and restored. This one-time operation creates corresponding CommCell instances for each discovered database.
The Commvault software only discovers instances defined in the Oracle oratab file, which is created by Oracle at installation and acts as a database registry file. On Solaris systems, this file is normally located in the /var/opt/oracle directory and on Linux/UNIX systems, it is located in the /etc directory.
By default, when you discover or create an Oracle instance, the Commvault software automatically creates a default data subclient and a default archive log subclient.
Best Practice: Do not modify the default archive log subclient properties.
If you don't want the software to create the default archive log subclient, you can disable this feature by setting an additional setting. For more information, see Disabling Automatic Archive Log Subclient Creation.
You can configure a data and log storage policy that is automatically assigned to all discovered instances. For information, see Configuring the Storage Policies for Discovered Oracle Instances.
When you add or discover an Oracle instance, the software sets the default block size to 1MB. You can change the Oracle block size. For more information, see Configuring the Oracle Block Size.
- From the CommCell Browser, go to Client Computers > client.
- Right-click Oracle, point to All Tasks and then click Discover Instance.
- Click Yes to confirm the instance discovery.
- Set the default data storage policy for the instance's default subclient when it has not been set. See Setting the Data Storage Policy on the Default Subclient after Discovering Oracle Instances.
- Set the default command line backup and log backup storage policies when they have not been set. See Setting the Log Backup and Command Line Backup Storage Policies after Discovering Oracle Instances.
- The Oracle connect string for a discovered instance is set to '/' by default. You can change the Oracle connect string. For more information, see Modifying the Oracle Connect String.
- Set the environment variables for the Oracle application directory and the Oracle Net Services configuration file. For more information, see Changing the Oracle Configuration Directories after Discovering Instances.
- Set up an operating system account and an Oracle user account. For more information, see Configuring User Accounts for Access to the Oracle Application and Database.
- Include the Oracle RMAN recovery catalogs in backups. For more information, see Enabling the Oracle RMAN Recovery Catalog.
- Disable the Oracle CROSSCHECK operation during data aging. See Disabling the Oracle RMAN Crosscheck.
- Include all control files for backups of this instance. For more information, see Enabling Automatic Backup of Control Files for All Oracle Subclients.
Refresh the instance properties to ensure all subclient properties are available. For more information, see Subclients for CommCell Console Auto Discovered Instances May Have Unavailable Properties.
Last modified: 8/28/2018 5:46:28 PM