Configuring VSS for IntelliSnap Backup on Windows
Volume Shadow Copy Service (VSS) is an infrastructure on Windows server platforms that enables applications to create shadow copies. A shadow copy is a consistent snapshot of the data held on a volume or component at a well-defined point in time. It provides a Windows-specific interface that enables coordination between requestors that back up data, writers that update data on disk, and providers that manage storage. In our case, Oracle iDataAgent works as a requestor, Oracle VSS Writer works as a writer and VSS Provider works as a provider. Oracle iDataAgent supports hardware providers.
Before You Begin
- You need to install the VSS Software Provider along with Oracle Data Agent to perform IntelliSnap backups.
- To perform VSS IntelliSnap backup for Oracle 10g, you have to install the Oracle VSS Writer. (metalink id 580558.1)
- The snapshot Control and SP file locations should be snap-able.
- Volume level Snaps are supported.
- Database volumes must be on one of the supported storage arrays.
- From the CommCell Browser, navigate to Client Computers > client > Oracle > instance.
- Right-click the subclient, and then click Properties.
The Subclient Properties dialog box appears.
- On the IntelliSnap Operations tab, make the following selections:
- From the Available Snap Engines list, select the storage array.
- Select the Use Oracle VSS Writer check box.
- Click OK to close the Subclient Properties dialog box.
Last modified: 8/28/2018 4:01:50 PM