Configuring RMAN Backup Copy for Oracle RAC IntelliSnap Operations
You can use RMAN for copying the data to the media in an Oracle RAC setup. When the data is moved to media, the RMAN backup interface is used for block level backup operations. Also, these backup operations are recorded on the RMAN catalog.
The number of streams that the software copy operations is the number of streams that you set for the Oracle RAC physical client where you take the snapshot, and not the number of streams that the software allocates across all the Oracle RAC nodes.
Prior to using RMAN for copying the data to the media, ensure the following:
- The Oracle (non RAC) instance on the proxy computer must have the same name as that in the source computer. If you use a non Oracle RAC proxy, the instance name must have the same name as the Oracle RAC database name.
- You must configure the Oracle instance and corresponding ASM instances under the proxy client.
- The Oracle user id/group id on the on the proxy computer should be identical to the user id/group id on the source computer
- The catalog user and the catalog database must be the accessible by the source and the proxy Oracle instances. Catalog is mandatory for RMAN backups on proxy computer.
- The Oracle database installed on the proxy and source computers should be compatible.
- The proxy and source computer should have the same directory structure e.g. dump, diagnostic and data directories.
- Oracle database requires the ASM to be registered with Oracle Cluster Registry (OCR). It will ensure the RMAN to successfully mount the disk group.
- If multiple source client database instances are configured to run RMAN backup copy on the same proxy MediaAgent, the backup copy may fail due to instance and database name conflicts. The conflicting database and instances need to be moved to a different proxy MediaAgent in such cases.
- By default, during RMAN backup copy the data snaps are mounted in the same location as source on proxy MediaAgents. In case of ASM databases, the ASM Disk Groups are not renamed during RMAN backup copy. This is to facilitate incremental RMAN backup copy where the datafile paths need to be in the same path as source.
If you use the same proxy MediaAgent for multiple databases RMAN backup copy may fail if the file system mount points or ASM Disk Group names of different Oracle instances conflict with each other. In such cases, set the sRMANDATAFILECOPY registry key to make the data snaps to be mounted on a different path or in case of ASM databases, to rename the ASM Disk Groups uniquely.
If you plan to use RMAN for copying the data to the media on the proxy computer, copy the Oracle parameter file (pfile) from the client to the proxy computer's $ORACLE_HOME/dbs/ directory, and remove any parameter containing Oracle RAC related entries.
- <RAC Instance name>.thread
- <RAC Instance name>.local_listener
- <RAC Instance name>.instance_number
- From the CommCell Console, navigate to Client Computers | <RAC Client> | <Instance>.
- Right-click the Subclient and click Properties.
- On the IntelliSnap Operations tab of the Subclient Properties dialog box:
- Select the IntelliSnap check box.
- Select the storage array from the Available Snap Engine drop-down list.
- To use RMAN for copying the data to media, select the Use RMAN for backup copy check box. This is required for Automatic Storage Management (ASM) databases.
- Click OK to close the Subclient Properties dialog box.
Last modified: 10/2/2018 7:53:33 PM