Assign SQL SysAdmin Role Workflow
This workflow assigns the SysAdmin role to any impersonation account for the selected SQL instance.
To perform SQL backups, the SQL SysAdmin role must be assigned to the user account specified for the SQL agent. By default, backup jobs run using the local system account. For SQL 2012 and later, the local system account is not assigned the SQL SysAdmin role by default. As a result, jobs can go into Pending or Failed state with a Job Pending Reason (JPR) that says the proper permissions are not assigned to the user. If you already have the proper SQL rights, you can run this workflow to add the SysAdmin role to the local system account or any other account used for impersonation.
This workflow can be manually executed from the CommCell Console.
Before You Begin
If you have Version 11 Service Pack 6 or earlier, download the APSS Add SysAdmin Role workflow from Cloud Services.
How Does It Work
This predefined workflow automates the following operations:
- Verifies the SQL Administrator credentials that you specify.
- Assigns the SQL SysAdmin role to an impersonation account.
- From the CommCell Browser, go to Workflows.
- Right-click APSS Add SysAdmin Role and then click All Tasks > Execute.
The Workflow Options dialog box appears.
- On the Inputs tab, select the workflow engine from the Run workflow on list and then enter the SQL instance and administrator information:
- In the SQL Client Instance box, select or type the name of the SQL instance where you want to make changes.
- In the SQL Administrator (SA) Account box, type the administrator log-on name for the SQL instance that you specified.
- In the SQL Administrator (SA) Password box, type the password associated with the administrator log-on name that you specified.
- In the Impersonation Account box, type the name of the account that you want to assign the SysAdmin role to.
The impersonation account that you specify should be the same impersonation account configured for the SQL instance backup.
- Click OK.
Important: In CommCell environments that contain many SQL Server instances, this workflow might take some time to load.
You can track the progress of the workflow job from the Job Controller.
Last modified: 11/5/2018 7:38:02 PM