Migrating NetBackup Data to ObjectStore
Using the ThirdParty Migration app, you can migrate backup jobs that can be restored as files from a NetBackup client to the ObjectStore. The app restores the NetBackup backup jobs to the staging client, and initiates the backup schedules for migration to ObjectStore.
Note: We migrate the third-party backups as files (file system data) from NetBackup. You can migrate only file system data to the Commvault ObjectStore.
Before You Begin
- Set up a Command Server
The Command Server is the server where you run the required Netbackup Commands(including bprestore command) to get the Netbackup client/job details and restore the Netbackup client data into the staging client. Also, the Command Server should have NetBackup and Commvault Filesystem Agent installed.
Note: The Command server must be a NetBackup Media server or Master server where “admincmd” folder is available.
For additional prerequisites, contact Commvault support.
- Configure the ObjectStore for Migration.
Note the staging path that you configured on the ObjectStore client. The staging client that you configured on the ObjectStore must be a computer which has Netbackup and Commvault Filesystem Agent installed. The staging client will be used to store the data restored from NetBackup. The restored data is then backed up into the Commvault ObjectStore.
You can choose either a Windows or a Linux client as the staging client for the migration. For example, if you are migrating data from Linux client, use a staging client on Linux.
- Install Python 2.7 on the staging client and set the path in the environment variable “Path”. If you installed Commvault software on the staging client before installing python, recycle CVD services.
- Import the ThirdPartyMigration app from Commvault Store. For more information, see Importing an App.
- Access the ThirdParty Migration app. For instructions to run the app, see Running an App.
- In the Server Configuration tab, click Add Server.
The Select Backup Product window appears.
- In the Select Product box, select NetBackup, and then click Next.
The Enter Migration Settings window appears.
- Provide the following inputs, and then click OK.
- NetBackup Master Server - Name of the Netbackup master server.
- Select Command Server - Name of the Server that has Netbackup and Commvault software installed. The server will run the required Netbackup commands (including bprestore command) to get the Netbackup clients/job details and restore the Netbackup client data into the staging client (LandingZone Server).
- Command Server Host User - The admin user account for the master server.
- Command Server Host Password - Password for the admin user account.
- Staging Client - Name of the staging client that you configured on the ObjectStore client.
- NetBackup Installation Path on Command Server - The path where you installed NetBackup on the Command Server. For example, C:\Program Files\Veritas\NetBackup.
- Migration Workspace Path - The location on the staging client, where the migration process creates input files to bprestore command for each backup job that you select for migration.
- Max Parallel Jobs - Select the maximum number of backup jobs that you can run in parallel.
- Migration Media Server - The name of the media server used by the ObjectStore for migration.
- Collect NetBackup Server Details - Select if you want the report to collect the NetBackup server details.
- In the Select Migration ObjectStore box, select the name of the ObjectStore client, and then click Finish.
The Netbackup Master server is listed under Backup Server Configuration.
- Click Load Jobs for the Netbackup Master server
- In the Select Client box, select the NetBackup client for which you want to view the backup jobs.
- In the From and To boxes, enter the start and end time range of the backup jobs that you want to view, and then click OK.
You can view a list of backup jobs for the selected client and date range.
- Click the Job Details tab.
You can view a list of backup jobs for the selected clients.
- To change the client , in the Select Client box, select a different Netbackup client, and then click Apply.
- To start migration, select the backup jobs, and then click Start Migration.
The status column for the selected backup jobs, will display the status as In Progress. You can also view the migration progress for the backup jobs in the Migration Queue tab.
- Optional: To stop the running migration operation, in the Migration Queue tab, click Stop.
- Optional: To view details of the media that was used for each backup job, click Show Media.
Based on the backup schedules defined for the ObjectStore client, files are uploaded to the ObjectStore automatically. After upload, the files are removed from the staging location.
What to Do Next
The ObjectStore user can now access and manage the files from the Web Console.
Last modified: 2/18/2021 9:15:30 PM