Erasing Data on Your Missing Laptop
When you report your laptop missing from the Web Console, you also have the option to erase files on your laptop. The erase action skips the folders and deletes only the files on the missing laptop.
Caution: When you erase files from a missing laptop, the files will be erased immediately or the next time the laptop has connectivity to the CommServe server through an internet connection or a network connection. Once confirmed, this action cannot be undone.
Before You Begin
Before you have the option to erase data on your laptop, you must report your laptop missing from the Web Console. See Report Your Missing Laptop.
- Log on to the Web Console.
- Under My Applications, click My Data.
The Computers page appears.
- Click the name of the laptop or computer that you want to erase data from.
- From the navigation menu, go to Settings.
The computer properties page appears.
- In the Last Seen Location section, click Erase Content.
The Secure Erase Content dialog box appears.
- To add or remove data to include in the erase operation, in the Include Files/Folders section, browse to or type the path to the data.
- To add or remove data to exclude from the erase operation, in the Exclude Files/Folders section, browse to or type the path to the data.
- Choose whether you want to erase all data or only some specific files and folders:
- To erase contents in the Include Files/Folders section and skip the paths and file types in the Exclude Files/Folders section, select the check boxes for the items in corresponding sections.
- To erase everything, select the Erase all data including system files and folders check box.
Caution: Select the Erase all data including system files and folders check box only if you are certain that you want to erase the data. After you erase the data, you cannot recover it.
- Click Erase Now.
The Erase Content Warning dialog box appears.
- Type the confirmation message, and then click Yes.
Last modified: 4/23/2021 6:45:30 PM