Reporting and Tracking Events for HIPAA
This section describes how the Commvault software addresses the following HIPAA rules:
- "Implement hardware, software, and/or procedural mechanisms that record and examine activity in information systems that contain or use electronic protected health information." (Audit Controls, Section 164.312(b))
You can configure the Commvault software to generate alerts for operations that meet certain criteria and then send a notification.
Audit Trail Report
The Audit Trail Report displays a list of operations that users performed in the CommCell environment over a specified time range. Each operation that appears in the report is grouped into a Playback Level, categorized as critical, high, medium, or low severity. The length of time that Audit Trail data is retained in the database can vary amongst Playback Levels. You can configure retention settings for data in each Playback Level in the CommCell Console Control Panel.
The following operations are examples of what the Audit Trail Report Tracks:
- A user fails to log on to the CommCell Console
- A user logs on to the CommCell Console
For a comprehensive description of the Commvault Audit Trail Report, see Audit Trail.
Alerts and Notifications
You can configure alerts to notify you of events that require attention, or as mechanisms to take automated actions based on conditions configured in an alert. The software sends an alert when conditions within the entity have met the criteria selected for the alert. The threshold and notification criteria determine when and at what frequency alerts are generated.
Commvault provides the following features:
- The ability to use a set of predefined alerts that are recommended for monitoring your CommCell.
- The ability to create custom alerts based on user defined conditions using custom queries.
- The ability to create alerts from your current CommCell for one or more remote CommCells registered with your current CommCell.
You can configure the software to send a notification (for example, an email) when it generates an alert.
For a comprehensive description of the Commvault alert and notification features, see Alerts and Notifications - Overview.
Last modified: 9/10/2018 3:23:10 PM