Creating an ObjectStore Client for Migration
To use Commvault data migration solution, you must create and configure an ObjectStore client for migration in the CommCell Console. The ObjectStore client is the CommCell entity used to manage the files the you migrate to the ObjectStore. Each ObjectStore client is associated with a staging client, a CommCell user, a storage policy, and an Index Server. The storage policy associated with the ObjectStore client determines the storage library and the retention settings for the migrated data.
Before You Begin
- Review the instructions in Configuring the ObjectStore for Migration.
- Create a CommCell user. The user will be assigned to the ObjectStore client to create and manage the migrated data.
- Associate storage policy with the Index Store client assigned to the Index Server. For information about storage policies, see Storage Policy - Getting Started.
- From the CommCell Browser, right-click Client Computers, point to New Client > File System, and then click ObjectStore.
The New ObjectStore Client dialog box appears.
- On the General tab, in the Client Name box, type the ObjectStore client name.
- In the Object Store Type list, click Migration.
- In the Client list, choose the file system client that will be used as the staging client where users can add the files for upload.
- In the Folder Path box, type the complete path to the staging location on the staging client, where the user will add the files for upload to the ObjectStore.
Verify that you do not assign the same staging path to multiple ObjectStore clients.
- Optional: If you specified a network path as the staging location, complete the following steps:
- Click As User.
- In the Impersonate User dialog box, enter the user credentials that has read and write permissions on the network path.
- On the Associate Users tab, in the Available Users box, click the CommCell user that you created, and then click the right arrow > button.
The user is added to the Selected Users list and automatically inherits the permissions to manage the ObjectStore client.
Note: Verify that you assign only one user to the ObjectStore client. Also, make sure that you do not remove the user from the CommCell, as you may lose the migrated data in the ObjectStore.
- On the Storage Device tab, in the Storage Policy list, select a storage policy.
- In the Index Server list, select the Index Server configured for the ObjectStore client.
- Click OK.
The ObjectStore client appears in the Client Computers list. This client has a backup set named after the user you chose on the Associate Users tab when you created the client.
What To Do Next
To back up the data in the staging folder to ObjectStore, create an incremental data protection schedule policy with the schedule name as migration. For instructions, see Creating Data Protection Schedule Policies.
Last modified: 12/9/2020 5:25:28 AM