Creating an Incident on ServiceNow Using a Workflow
The Demo_ServiceNowCreateIncident workflow is a predefined workflow that automatically runs when a data restore operation fails.
The workflow creates records (containing failure details) on the ServiceNow SaaS platform. The records are written to an incident table in ServiceNow. You can configure an email to automatically send the summary of the restore operation failure to the CommCell administrator for further action.
Before You Begin
- To automatically run the Demo_ServiceNowCreateIncident workflow when a restore fails, you must configure an alert notification. You can also configure an email to automatically send the summary of the restore operation failure to the CommCell administrator.
For information about how to set up alerts for workflows from the CommCell Console, see Workflow Notifications.
For information about how to set up alerts for workflows from ServiceNow, see Creating an Alert.
- ServiceNow instance is integrated with Commvault and has at least one active user.
- Access ServiceNow using the ServiceNow instance URL, and then register Commvault with the ServiceNow instance for OAuth authorization. For more information, see "OAuth Setup" on the ServiceNow website.
- Create an OAuth token on ServiceNow. For more information, see "OAuth Setup" on the ServiceNow website.
- In the ServiceNowLogin activity, enter the created OAuth token details and user credentials. For more information, see Available Built-In Activities.
- Enable the workflow Demo_ServiceNowCreateIncident workflow. For more information, see Workflow Operations - Enable/Disable a Workflow.
Note: By default, the Demo_ServiceNowCreateIncident workflow is disabled.
- From the CommCell Console ribbon, click Alerts.
The Alerts dialog box appears.
- Click Add.
The General Information page appears.
- In the Display Name box, enter a name for the alert.
- From the Category list, select Job Management.
- From the Type list, select Data Recovery, and then click Next.
- Select the clients or client groups that you want to associate with this alert, and then click Next.
- Select Job Failed as the alert criteria to be used, and then click Next.
The Notification Type(s) Selection page appears.
- On the Workflow tab, complete the following steps:
- Select the Select [Workflow] for notification check box.
- From the Workflow to run list, select the Demo_ServiceNowCreateIncident workflow.
A table with Name, Value, and Type columns appears. The Name and Type columns are populated with inputs that are defined in the workflow.
- In the Value column, select a value for the input from the list, as shown in the following table.
The name of the alert.
<ALERT CATEGORY - ALERT TYPE>
The type of alert.
The name of the CommCell environment.
The alert criteria that was detected.
The date and time that the alert criteria was detected.
The CommCell user who initiated the operation.
The ID of the restore job that failed.
The status of the operation.
The time that the operation started.
The time that the operation failed.
The error code for the job pending or job failure reason.
The reason for failure.
The name of the backup set.
- On the Summary page, review your selections and then click Finish.
Last modified: 6/12/2020 7:59:37 PM