File System Backup and Restore Workflow
The Demo_FileSystemBackupRestore workflow is a predefined workflow which allows you to back up data from a client and restore it to a specified destination. Backup and restore operations are performed on demand.
This workflow can be manually executed from the CommCell Console. It is useful when you want to protect sensitive data from a client in the CommCell.
Aside from running the workflow on demand, you can also automate it as follows if you want to continuously protect your data:
- scheduling the workflow to run at specific times
- calling out the workflow (as an XML file) in your automation scripts.
How Does It Work?
This predefined workflow automates the following operations:
- Backs up data from a specified folder in a client computer.
During the backup operation, the workflow uses the storage policy associated to the default subclient of the selected client.
- Restores the backed up data to the same or different client (also known as in-place and out-of-place restore).
- When the backup and restore operations are successful, the workflow sends an email the user that executed the workflow.
If the backup or restore fail, it sends a message to the Job Controller indicating the job ID of the operation.
- From the CommCell Browser, go to Workflows.
- Right-click Demo_FileSystemBackupRestore and then click All Tasks > Execute.
- Select the workflow engine from the Run workflow on list and enter the value of the following variables in the Value column:
- For the client input, select the client containing the data that you want to back up.
- For the restoreClient input, select the client where you want to restore the data.
- For the sourcePath input, enter the path of the data to be backed up.
- For the destinationPath input, enter the path to the folder where the data will be restored.
- Click OK.
You can track the progress of the workflow job from the Job Controller. You will see a job for each activity in the workflow, for example, backup, restore.
- Once you receive an email indicating that the workflow was successful, verify that the backed up files and folders are available in the restore destination.
Last modified: 1/10/2018 9:30:44 PM