Finding Message Text in GxTail
GxTail provides two ways of finding text in log messages. Both methods support wild cards and regular expressions. Choose one of these methods:
- Finding text in files that are already open in GxTail tabs.
- Finding text in files of types you specify, that are stored in a single folder or a file structure. This method provides several options for opening the files that contain the text.
Before You Begin
Have at least one file open in GxTail.
Finding Text in Open Files
- Optional: Select the text string in an open file. If you selected text before opening this dialog box, that text is automatically placed in the Find What box.
- Click Edit > Find.
- In the Find What box, enter the string or regular expression for the text you want to find. If you enter a regular expression, select the Regular Exp option.
- Optional: Select from these Open File Options:
- Select Regular Exp if the text you entered is a regular expression. Select a different option from this list if you are using one of the other types listed in it.
- Select All Files to search all the files that are currently open in GxTail.
- Select Highlight if you want GxTail to highlight all occurrences of the text it finds.
- Click Find Next to find the next occurrence of the string or expression.
- Click Close when finished.
Finding Text in Stored Files
- Optional: Select the text string in an open file.
- Click Edit > Find in Folder to open the Find Text in Files dialog box. If you selected text before opening this dialog box, that text is automatically placed in the Look for Text box.
- In Look In, enter or paste the path to the folder you want to use as the starting point for the Find operation. If you prefer, click the button, and navigate to the folder.
- Optional: In File Ext's, enter one or more file types as extensions, in the format *.ext. Separate multiple types with the pipe character (|). If you want the search to recursively traverse all subfolders contained in the Look In folder, select Recursive.
- In Look for Text, enter the simple string or expression to use as criteria for finding message text. If you use an expression, be sure to select its type in Match Options.
- Optional: Select Match Options as desired. If you are using wild cards or regular expressions, select the option that matches the characters you are using.
- Optional: Select Open File Options as needed. See Find Text in Files for a description of each option.
- Clck Search.
- If any matches are found, the files in which they exist are listed in the Results window. If you selected an auto-open option (Auto Open or Close All Tabs), each file listed opens in a tab. If you selected Manual, double-click a file in the list to open it.
- Click Close.
Last modified: 3/8/2018 5:41:55 PM