Recovering Macintosh File System Data
Recover the entire file system data to the same or different client in the event of a disaster.
Before You Begin
- From the CommCell Browser, navigate to Client Computers | <Client> | File System.
- Right-click the defaultBackupSet and then click All Tasks |Browse and Restore.
- In the Restore Options dialog box, click the AdvancedOptions tab.
- Select the Starting Path check box and enter the file system path to the data you wish to restore. You can type "/" as the path to restore the entire content.
- Click ViewContent.
- Click Recover All Selected.
- Clear the Restore to same folder check box.
- In the Destination Client list, select the client. If you are mounting the new root file system at /mnt, type or accept "/mnt" as the restore destination in the Specify Destination Path box.
- Click Browse and select the original root partition (which is currently mounted under the Volumes directory).
Note: Do not select Unconditional Overwrite option.
Restored data retains its original permissions. The ACLs are restored after the permissions are restored.
- Click Advanced.
- Click the Paths/Filters tab.
- Under Source Item, click Add and type /Volumes.
- Click OK.
- Click Immediate from the Job Initiation tab.
- Click OK.
You can monitor the progress of the restore job in the Job Controller window of the CommCell Console.
- Open a Terminal window on the client and navigate to the original root partition which is currently mounted under the Volumes directory.
- Re-create the Volumes directory
- Make the newly restored root bootable using the bless command.
bless -folder "/Volumes/<original root partition>/System/Library/CoreServices" -setOF
- Restart the computer.
The system boots to the newly restored root.
Last modified: 10/13/2017 10:34:21 AM