Configuring Region Based Data Protection Operations
You can configure a client computer group that uses a common storage policy for region based or geo location based data protection operations. This storage policy that is configured for the client computer group takes precedence over any other storage policy that may be associated with the subclient while running a data protection operation.
For example: You can configure the storage policy for a client computer group for geo location based backups where laptop client LAP1 (is a roaming laptop) and travels to two different locations like New Jersey and California. To ensure that the data protection operations run locally for LAP1, you can configure two client computer groups with Time zone based grouping where each group has clients for New Jersey and California respectively. The NJ-CCG New Jersey client computer group has NJ-SP storage policy configured that points to NJ-MA MediaAgent which is local to New Jersey. Similarly, CA-CCG California client computer group has CA-SP storage policy configured that points to CA-MA MediaAgent. Therefore, anytime LAP1 travels to either of the locations, it gets automatically associated with the appropriate client computer group for running data protection operations to a local storage policy.
Storage policies used for Archive Log Backups are not supported to be configured for the client computer group level.
- From the CommCell Browser you can configure a storage policy for existing or a new client computer group:
- For an existing client computer group, right-click the appropriate Client Computer Group > Properties > Storage Device tab and skip to step 4.
- For a new client computer group, right-click Client Computer Groups and then click New Group.
The Create New Client Group dialog box is displayed.
- On the General tab, in the Group Name box, type a name for the new computer group and in the Description box, type a description.
- Select the clients for association in one of the following ways:
- Click Manual Association to manually add client computers to the client computer group.
- Click Automatic Association to specify rules, which the client needs to satisfy to get associated with the client computer group.
For a list of all of the available rules, see Rules Available for Smart Client Computer Groups.
Note: The storage policies that are configured for Transactional Log Backups are not automatically associated. However, you can manually associate them.
- On the Storage Device tab, configure a storage policy by following one of the ways:
- From the Storage Policy list, select an existing storage policy.
- Click Create Storage Policy and create a new storage policy by following the wizard.
For more information on creating a storage policy see, Storage Policy - Getting Started.
- Click OK to complete the configuration.
Last modified: 5/15/2019 3:09:14 PM