Subclient Properties (VM Management - General Tab)
Use this tab to control how virtual machines are powered off, archived, and migrated (relocated).
To shut down virtual machines automatically based on usage, select and set any of the following options. If you do not select any of these, virtual machines are not powered off automatically.
- CPU usage below: Set the CPU usage percentage and the number of days CPU usage should be at or below that percentage before the virtual machine is powered down.
- Disk usage below: Set the disk usage in kilobytes per second and the number of days disk usage should be at or below that level before the virtual machine is powered down.
- Network usage below: Set the network usage in kilobits per second and the number of days network usage should be at or below that level before the virtual machine is powered down.
If you select one or more of the power management options, all of the selected conditions must be satisfied for a virtual machine before it is powered off.
Select Archive Management to enable powered off virtual machines to be archived. This setting applies for any powered off virtual machines that are selected on the Content tab for the subclient, and cannot be reversed for this subclient.
If this option is selected, you can choose to archive or migrate the selected virtual machines:
- Archive Powered off VMs: Select this option, then click Immediately, or click Powered off for and indicate the number of days the virtual machines should be powered off before they are archived. When virtual machines are archived, their stored data are backed up and removed from the server or datastore.
- Relocate Powered off VMs: Select this option, then click Immediately, or click Powered off for and indicate the number of days they should be powered off before they are migrated. When relocating virtual machines, you can enter values to specify the Destination:
- Host: Use the browse button to select a new host.
- Datastore: Use the browse button to select a new datastore.
- Resource Pool: Use the browse button to select a new resource pool.
- Convert to Thin Provision: Select Yes to relocate the virtual machine disks with Thin provisioning. If you use the default value of No, the original disk provisioning is retained after the virtual machine is relocated. Thin provisioning allocates space on an as-needed basis.
- If you select both Archive Powered off VMs and Relocate Powered off VMs for the same time frame, the virtual machines are first migrated during the next incremental backup, then archived.
- A virtual machine archived from one subclient cannot be backed up or archived from another subclient until the virtual machine is recovered.
Subclient Properties (VM Management - Retention Tab)
Under For archived VMs deleted by user in VCenter, prune data from MediaAgent, choose one of the following options:
Drop the deleted items from the next synthetic full backup in the backup cycle.
- After n days
Retain the deleted items in the backup cycle for the specified number of days.
Retain the deleted items forever (default setting).
Note: Files that are moved from one subclient to another are treated as deleted data, and are retained or pruned according to the original subclient's retention settings.
Last modified: 3/2/2018 5:26:11 PM