You can restore full virtual machines in place or to a new destination. Restores are supported for both Windows and Linux clients.
- You can backup virtual machines configured with Azure Stack Hub unmanaged and managed disks. From these backups, you can restore full virtual machines and restore guest files and folders.
- Backup and restore of encrypted blobs are not supported.
A full VM restore operation includes the following stages:
- Engage the Virtual Server file system driver.
- For an in-place restore, delete the existing VM.
- Mount VM disks.
- Read data.
- For an in-place restore, recreate the VM using VM disk data and the JSON configuration file for the VM.
- For an out-of-place restore, create a new VM using the destination information specified for the restore (such as the ARM model name, resource group, subscription, VM size, and storage account).
- If a network security group was specified for the source VM, configure the same security group for the restored VM.
If no security group was specified for the source VM, you can add a security group to the destination VM after the restore operation completes.
Last modified: 4/27/2020 8:55:30 PM