Creating a File System Subclient
Subclients contain information about what data is backed up. You can create user-defined subclients to manage and back up specific data files and folders. For example, you can create user-defined subclients for folders and files that change frequently or that require a different backup schedule.
If you define overlapping content in multiple subclients within the same backup set, then only one subclient backs up that content. Other subclients do not back up the content.
The subclient that contains the parent folder backs up all the files and folders under the parent folder. However, if any of the child folders are specified as content in another subclient, then the child folder is automatically filtered when the backup runs.
The default subclient does not back up the content that is specified in the other subclients within the same backup set.
You can use wildcards to define the subclient content, exclusions, and exceptions. For information about wildcards, see the following topics:
- If you change the subclient content from the default of "\" or "/" to a specific directory, the next backup job is a full backup, irrespective of the backup type you selected.
- If a client belongs to multiple client groups or companies, or if a subclient is associated with a subclient policy and a client group or company, then all the filters are applied during backups.
- No two subclients in a backup set can use the same plan (that contains the same backup data).
- When you assign a plan to the subclient in the backupset, system state backups runs only for the default subclient. The default subclient, skips the content specified in the other subclients within the same backup set.
- From the navigation pane, go to Protect > File servers.
The File servers page appears.
- Click the file server.
The file server page appears.
- Under Subclients, on the right of the page, click Add subclient.
The Create new subclient page appears.
- Enter the following information:
- Name: Enter a name for the subclient.
- Backup set: Select the backup set that you want to add the subclient to.
- Backup plan: Select the backup plan to use for the subclient, and then specify which content you want to back up.
- In the Backup process settings section, enter the following information:
- Pre-backup process: Enter the path to the batch file.
- Post-backup process: Enter the path to the batch file.
For more information about pre-processes and post-processes, see Pre-Processes and Post-Processes Overview.
- Click OK.
The subclient is added and is automatically backed up by the backup plan that you selected.
Last modified: 9/2/2020 8:44:26 PM