Configuring Micro Pruning
For cloud storage configured with deduplication, micro Pruning is enabled by default to ensure that data will be pruned from cloud storage, as soon as a backup job meets the retention rules, without sealing the corresponding deduplication database (DDB).
If the Enable Micro Pruning option was not enabled on the cloud storage before upgrading the MediaAgent, enable this option from the Mount Path Properties after upgrading the MediaAgent. This option will prune the deduplicated data from cloud storage without sealing the corresponding DDB (deduplication database).
You cannot perform micro pruning for a cloud storage that has smart lock enabled. For cloud storage with smart lock, you must use macro pruning. Macro pruning means the deletion of a job without the DDB.
- This option will not be available for cloud storage products that do not support micro pruning. See Micro Pruning support for a list.
- From the CommCell Browser, expand Storage Resources > Libraries >Cloud Storage Library.
- Right-click the appropriate cloud storage mount path and then click Properties.
- Click the Allocation Policy tab, select the Enable Micro Pruning check box.
Note: When this option is enabled, the pruning process could take a lot of time, if there are a number of backup jobs that meet the retention rules.
- Click OK.
Note: If micro pruning was previously not enabled, and if it is enabled, micro pruning will be effective only for the new data written on the active DDB after enabling the option. Space reclamation from data that was written prior to enabling the option will occur through the data aging process after the active DDB is sealed and all the backup jobs meets the retention rules.
- To configure pruning to occur only when all backup jobs in a DDB meets the retention rules and the DDB is sealed, see Pruning Deduplication Database Backup Jobs of Sealed DDB.
- If there are multiple MediaAgents configured to write to a cloud storage, the system auto selects a preferred MediaAgent to prune the data from the cloud storage. You can set another MediaAgent as the preferred MediaAgent by using the QS_SetDeviceControllerProps qscript.
Last modified: 2/22/2021 9:07:34 AM