MySQL Backup using Percona XtraBackup
During a MySQL backup operation of database that contains only innodb storage engine tables, when the MySQL dump command is executed with parameters master-data and single-transaction, an implicit lock is acquired on the database.
You can avoid the locking of database by using Percona XtraBackup utility to run MySQL backup operations. Using this utility, you can run non-blocking backup operation on the database that has tables of only innodb storage engine.
Supported MySQL Versions
You can run backup operations with Percona XtraBackup utility only on the following MySQL versions:
- MySQL 5.7.x
- MySQL 5.6.x
- MySQL 8.0.x
Supported MariaDB Version
You can run backup operations with Percona XtraBackup utility only on the following MariaDB versions:
- MariaDB 10.1.x
- MariaDB 10.2.x
- MariaDB 10.3
Note: For XtraBackup utility to work with MariaDB 10.3 version, use symlinks xtrabackup and xbstream for mariabackup and mbstream respectively. While configuring MySQL instance to enable XtraBackup, in the XtraBackup Bin Path box, select the directory that has these symlinks.
- You can run a MySQL backup operation using XtraBackup utility only on a UNIX client computer.
- XtraBackup version 2.3 or later is required to run a backup operation on MySQL 5.6 version.
- XtraBackup version 2.4 is required to run a backup operation on MySQL 5.7 version. This is a limitation of MySQL.
- XtraBackup version 8.0 is required to run a backup operation on MySQL 8.0 version.
- We do not support back up of file per tablespace outside data directory.
Last modified: 10/24/2019 5:11:31 AM