Creating a Replication Group
A replication group is a set of virtual machines that can be replicated to a recovery target (also called destination or secondary site). The group configuration identifies source VMs and specifies how they should be replicated to the destination site.
- From streaming backups, VMs can be replicated to Amazon, Microsoft Azure, Microsoft Hyper-V, OpenStack, or VMware.
- From VMware IntelliSnap backups, VMs can be replicated to VMware using Live Sync Direct.
Note: When you configure Live Sync Direct from VMware IntelliSnap backups, failback operations are only supported if the IntelliSnap configuration uses the Virtual Server Agent Snap engine. Failback operations are not supported if you use a hardware snapshot engine, regardless of whether the live sync operation is performed from a snap copy or a backup copy.
You can also configure replication for a VM group from the VM groups page, or for an individual VM from the Virtual machines page. When you configure replication for a VM group or an individual VM, you can add VMs to an existing replication group if one exists, or you can create a new replication group.
Before You Begin
- Review the options for the destination hypervisor:
- For traditional live sync, virtual machines must have been backed up at least once to be added to a replication group.
This requirement does not apply for Live Sync Direct.
- Create a recovery target for the secondary site.
- For Amazon destinations, when replication uses an Amazon instance as the VSA proxy and does not specify a bucket, you must provide guest instance credentials for each guest instance on the Override options page for the replication group, including the domain or computer name, username, and password.
- From the navigation pane, go to Configuration > Replication.
The Replication groups page appears.
- In the upper-right area of the tab, click Configure replication group, and then select Virtualization.
The Configure replication group page appears.
- Select one of the following options:
- Live Sync: Replicate from streaming backups.
- Live Sync Direct: Replicate from VMware IntelliSnap backups.
With Live Sync Direct configurations, a maximum of three VM snapshots are retained on source VMs.
- Live Sync IO: Perform block-level replication for VMware.
The Configure replication group wizard opens and displays the Content page.
- Enter the required information for the source hypervisor.
- Click Next.
The Target page appears.
- Enter the required information for the destination hypervisor.
- Click Next.
The wizard displays the Override options page.
- Click Yes to override settings for specific VMs.
- To change the destination settings for specific VMs, select the VMs from the Virtual machine list.
- Click Next.
The Summary page appears and displays the settings for the group definition.
- Click Finish to create the replication group.
The wizard creates a replication schedule and a replication group that includes the selected source VMs.
The properties page for a replication group includes a Replication monitor that you can use to monitor the replication status and to perform operations.
Last modified: 8/13/2019 7:17:23 PM