Configure Fibre Channel SAN Data Server with Direct and SAN Attached Storage
You can configure the MediaAgents to use the fibre channel to access the SAN data server which might be attached to a combination of direct attached storage as well as the SAN attached storage.
The SAN data server is connected to a SAN attached storage through fibre channel or iSCSI. Whereas the SAN data server uses the SCSI interface like SAS or SATA to connect to the direct attached storage.
Configuring the fibre channel SAN data server with direct and SAN attached storage is supported with deduplication storage policy.
The SAN data server must have the following installed:
- See, Shared SAN Data Server - System Requirements for Fibre Channel for a complete list of supported platforms, hardware and software.
- If you have two QLogic HBA and you want to configure both of them as target, then use the nUseAllFCPortsInTargetMode additional setting to use all QLogic HBAs as targets. For more information on creating the additional setting, see Add or Modify an Additional Setting.
- For sufficient hardware requirements for the MediaAgents, see CommCell Sizing.
The configuration involves the following tasks in the order listed.
- Install the MediaAgent and SAN Storage Server on the data server.
Ensure that during installation, you select the MediaAgent and the SAN Storage Server.
For more information, see MediaAgent Installation.
- After installing the MediaAgent, download the SCST driver and the SCST Util from cloud.commvault.com and copy them on the SAN data server.
Unzip the zipped folder, and navigate to cd_update.
Install the update in the Software_Installation_Directory\opt\commvault\FibreMAAgent directory.
Important: When upgrading to the latest Service Pack, ensure that you download the latest driver version from cloud.commvault.com.
- Restart the data server.
- Configure a disk library using the data server MediaAgent and set up the disk storage as the local mount path target.
For more information, see Creating a Disk Library.
- Share the local mount path with the MediaAgents.
For more information, see Sharing a SAN Data Server Using Fibre Channel.
- Create a deduplication storage policy using the newly created disk library and the MediaAgent.
For more information, see Creating a Storage Policy with Deduplication.
- Associate the storage policy with a subclient and perform client backups.
For more information on how to run backups, see the documentation for the specific agent.
Important: Before you run the backups ensure that you are able to see the CVLT_FIO disks that are exported from the SAN data serve. For more information, see Verify CVLT_FIO Disks.
Last modified: 3/20/2020 6:20:41 PM