Accelerating Backups to Cloud Storage Libraries
Storage Accelerator can be setup on clients to directly send the backup data to a configured cloud storage library. (Without the Storage Accelerator, backups send the client data to the MediaAgent first, and then the MediaAgent stores the data in the cloud storage library.) Storage Accelerator has the following advantages:
- Speeds up the backup process by directly backing up to the cloud storage library and avoiding additional network transmission.
- Reduces the load on the MediaAgent by eliminating the need for processing backup data. (Deduplication and Index Cache operation would continue to be processed by the MediaAgent.)
The data flow diagram for the storage accelerator feature is given below:
- Storage Accelerator can be installed on Windows and Linux clients. (All the agents supported on Windows and Linux clients is supported.)
- Storage Accelerator is not supported for Edge Endpoint offline backups.
Before You Begin
Install the Storage Accelerator package on the client computer using the installation package. For more information, see Installations Using the Installation Package.
During the installation, from the Select Packages dialog box, click Tools and then select Storage Accelerator.
- Configure a cloud library using an appropriate MediaAgent as described in Creating a Cloud Library.
- Create a Storage Policy using the MediaAgent /cloud library as the data path in the storage library.
See Storage Policy - Getting Started for more information.
- Associate the Storage Policy with the subclient used to backup data from the client.
- Run a backup from the subclient.
The software sends the backup data directly to the cloud storage library. The name of the client appears as the MediaAgent in the Streams tab of the Job Details dialog box of the running backup job.
For instructions about viewing the job details of a running backup job, see View Job Details.
For information about the Streams tab, see Backup/Information Management Job Details (Streams).
- Accelerated backups may not work in the following cases:
- When the Client is behind firewall and hence unable to connect to the cloud.
- The MediaAgents attached to the library use a credential that works only from that specific MediaAgent. For example, IAM Role.
In such situations, Disable the Storage Accelerator on the client.
- If you perform CommCell Migration to migrate a backup set or a subclient that was backed up to a cloud library using the Storage Accelerator, then you must manually select a MediaAgent on the destination CommCell to restore the data. The MediaAgent that you select must have access to the cloud library. For instructions, see Browsing and Restoring Using MediaAgent.
- Maximum read, write throughputs to cloud storage can be throttled during certain periods, like the peak business hours. For more information about the additional settings that you can configure for throughput throttling, see Throttling Throughput to Cloud Storage Using Additional Settings.
- When the client has both the MediaAgent and the Storage Accelerator packages installed, by default, Storage Accelerator will be used to move the data. If necessary, you can activate the MediaAgent to move the data directly to the cloud. For more information, see Enabling or Disabling Storage Accelerator.
Last modified: 7/26/2021 10:57:02 AM