Migrating Avamar Data to ObjectStore
Using the ThirdParty Migration app, you can migrate any backup jobs that can be restored as files from an Avamar client to the ObjectStore. The app restores the Avamar backup jobs to the staging client, and initiates the backup schedules for migration to ObjectStore.
Note: We migrate the third-party backups as files (file system data) from Avamar.
Before You Begin
- Configure the ObjectStore for Migration.
The staging client that you configured on the ObjectStore must be a computer which has Avamar and Commvault software installed.
You can choose either a Windows or a Linux client as the staging client for the migration. For example, if you are migrating data from Linux client, use a staging client on Linux.
- Configure the EMC Avamar Management Console Command Line Interface (MCCLI) package on a Linux computer pointing to the Avamar Server. Also, install the Commvault File System Agent on the Linux computer.
- Install Python 2.7 on the staging client and set the path in the environment variable “Path”. If you installed Commvault software on the staging client before installing python, recycle CVD services.
- Verify that the staging client has enough disk space to restore the largest backup image from Avamar. If you plan to restore multiple backup images in parallel, you must have disk space equal to the largest backup image * the number of parallel restores. For example, 30 GB *5 = 150 GB.
- Import the ThirdPartyMigration app from Commvault Store. For more information, see Importing an App.
For additional prerequisites, contact Commvault support.
- Access the ThirdParty Migration app. For instructions to run the app, see Running an App.
- In the Server Configuration tab, click Add Server.
The Select Backup Product window appears.
- In the Select Product box, select Avamar, and then click Next.
The Enter Migration Settings window appears.
- Provide the following inputs, and then click Next.
- Avamar Server Name - Name of Avamar backup server.
- Avamar Admin User - The admin user account for the backup server.
- Avamar Admin User Password - Password for the admin user account.
- Staging Client - Name of the staging client that you configured on the ObjectStore client. The staging client must be the server where you can restore the backed up data for migration to ObjectStore.
- Destination Domain - The domain name of the Avamar client. For example, /clients.
- Destination Client - Name of the Avamar client.
- Management Console Command Client - The name of the Linux client where you installed the Avamar management console for command line interface (MCCLI).
- Avamar Install Path on Command Client - The path where you installed the Avamar software on the MCCLI client. For example, usr/local/avamar/.
- Max Parallel Jobs - Select the maximum number of backup jobs that you can run in parallel.
- Collect Avamar Server Details - Select if you want the report to collect the Avamar server details.
- In the Select Migration ObjectStore box, select the name of the ObjectStore client, and then click Finish.
The Avamar backup server is listed under Backup Server Configuration.
- Click Load Jobs for the Avamar backup server.
- In the DomainName box, select the Avamar domain name.
- Optional: To list the backup jobs of all the clients in the specified Avamar domain, select the Get Jobs For All Clients box.
- In the From and To boxes, enter the start and end time range of the backup jobs that you want to view, and then click Next.
- In the Select client box, select one or more Avamar clients for which you want to load the backup jobs, and then click OK.
- Click the Job Details tab.
You can view a list of backup jobs for the selected clients and date range.
- To change the client , in the Select Client box, select a different Avamar client, and then click Apply.
- To start migration, select the backup jobs, and then click Start Migration.
The status column for the selected backup jobs, will display the status as In Progress. You can also view the migration progress for the backup jobs in the Migration Queue tab.
- Optional:To stop the running migration operation, in the Migration Queue tab, click Stop.
Based on the backup schedules defined for the ObjectStore client, files are uploaded to the ObjectStore automatically. After upload, the files are removed from the staging location.
What to Do Next
The ObjectStore user can now access and manage the files from the Web Console.
Last modified: 2/18/2021 9:12:58 PM