Converting from VMware to Oracle Cloud Classic
When restoring a VMware virtual machine from backup, you can choose to restore the VM as an Oracle Cloud Classic instance.
Before You Begin
- Configure a hypervisor for Oracle Cloud Classic.
- The proxy for the conversion must be an instance running in Oracle Cloud Classic.
- The source VM must reside on an ESXi host 6.0 or later.
- Make the following changes before backing up source VMs that are to be converted:
For Linux source VMs:
- Remove all MAC addresses in Ethernet configuration files so that DHCP can be enabled.
- Enable DHCP on boot.
- Enable console logging.
- Update the kernel version to one of the following:
- Oracle Linux 6.7
- Other Linux OS using Unbreakable Enterprise Kernel (UEK) Release 3 or Red Hat Compatible Kernel (RHCK)
For Windows source VMs:
- Enable Remote Desktop Protocol (RDP) connection for the VM.
- In environments that include a firewall, open a port for RDP connections.
- Install Oracle VM Paravirtual (PV) drivers.
- From the navigation pane, click Solutions > Virtualization > Hypervisors.
The Hypervisors page appears.
- Click the name of the hypervisor that hosts the virtual machines.
The hypervisor details page appears. The VM groups area displays summary information for any existing VM groups.
- In the VM groups area, click Restore for the VM group that contains the virtual machine.
- In the Select restore type page, select Full virtual machine to restore one or more full virtual machines.
- In the Restore page, expand the tree on the left and select the objects to be restored on the right. Select an item or click on an entry in the Name column to browse within an item.
In the top right corner of the page, a "Showing" message indicates what backup data is being displayed. You can click the down arrow beside this message and select any of the following options:
- Show latest backups: Only display data for the most recent backups.
- Show backups as of a specific date: Only display data up to the date you specify.
- Show backups for a date range: Only display data within the data range you specify.
- In the Restore options dialog box, provide the requested information:
- From the Restore as list, select Oracle Cloud.
- Select an Oracle Cloud Classic hypervisor from the Virtualization Client list.
- Select the target host from the Destination Client list.
- Optional: By default, the preferred VSA proxy for the hypervisor is used for the restore. You can select a different Oracle Cloud Classic proxy from the Proxy client list.
- Optional: Select Power on instance after restore (the default) to start the instance automatically.
- If you are restoring multiple instances, click the All Instances tab on the bottom left to specify configuration values for all instances you are restoring, or the name of each instance to specify values individually. Specify the following values:
- When restoring a single instance, in the Change instance display name to box, enter a new display name for the instance.
- From the User account list, select the user for the destination endpoint.
- From the Instance shape list, select an instance shape that is at or above the level of the source instances.
- In the Network box, select a network for the destination instances.
- In the Security groups box, select a security group for the specified network.
- In the SSH keys box, select a predefined SSH key for the destination instances.
- Click Submit to run the restore job.
Last modified: 3/22/2019 6:06:52 PM