Restoring Messages to a PST File Using Exchange Mailbox
Applies to: User Mailbox, and Journal Mailbox
You can restore a mailbox, a message, or a mailbox item to a PST file.
The size of the PST file is limited based on the version of Microsoft Outlook that you use. For Microsoft Outlook 2007, the PST cannot be larger than 15 GB. For Microsoft Outlook 2010 or later, the PST file cannot be larger than 30 GB. If you try to restore a data set that is larger than the PST size limit, the restore will fail. You can choose to restore large data sets to multiple PST files that are less than or equal to the value that you define. These PST files cannot be larger than 45 GB.
- In the navigation pane, expand Solutions > Exchange, and then click the Exchange_Mailbox_server.
- In the Agents area, click Exchange Mailbox.
- In the Content area, click the backup_set.
- In the upper-right, click Restore.
The Backup content page appears.
- Do one of the following:
- To restore a mailbox, select the check box next to the mailbox name.
- To restore a folder, expand the mailbox, and then select the check box beside the folder name.
- To restore a message, expand the mailbox and folder, and then select the check box next to the appropriate message.
- To restore a message that has an attachment, select a message that has paper clip icon.
- Click Restore.
The Restore options dialog box appears.
- Select PST file.
- From the Destination host list, select the name of the appropriate client computer.
- In the Destination path box, type the path to the location where you want to restore the PST file, including the PST file name with the .pst extension.
If you want to restore the PST file to a network location, type the UNC path to the location, including the PST file name with the .pst extension.
- If you want to restore a large data set to multiple PST files, select the Limit PST size to check box, and then enter a size value.
The size limit cannot be greater than 45 GB.
- Do either of the following:
- If you want to create a single PST file that is common to all users, select Create common PST for all users, and then select either a merged folder hierarchy for all users or a preserved folder hierarchy for each user.
- To create separate PST files for each individual user, select Create a folder per user using, and then select the appropriate folder naming convention from the corresponding list.
- Journal Mailbox: To restore only the actual message, select the Remove journal report if it exists on restore check box.
The journal report is removed when the message is restored.
- Click Submit.
Last modified: 3/11/2018 10:16:11 PM