RPO (recovery point objectives) backups are based on intelligent automatic scheduling. To get started, you define the following options in a plan:
- Backup Frequency: How often backups are run.
- Backup window: The days and times when a backup job can run.
After the backup frequency and the backup window are defined, automatic schedules and dynamic priorities are used to achieve your RPO.
- An incremental schedule is configured to automatically convert to a full backup job based on Commvault backup conversion rules.
- A synthetic full schedule is configured to be an automatic schedule.
- By default, the plan includes a continuous incremental schedule set to one hour less than the RPO value for the plan.
Note: After upgrading to SP13, any incremental daily schedules that had been configured from a plan are automatically converted to continuous incremental set to run at an interval of one hour less than the RPO value of the plan. This is intended to enable the plan to better meet the RPO criteria.
Automatic Backup Level
The jobs from the incremental schedule are automatically converted to a full backup job based on the following backup conversion rules:
- For SQL agents:
- If the last full backup job is older than 30 days and the operation window allows a full backup job, the job is converted to a full backup job.
- If the last full backup job is within 30 days and the last differential backup job is older than 7 days, job is converted to a differential backup job.
- For other agents: If the last full backup job is older than 7 days and the operation window allows a full backup job, the job is converted to a full backup job.
Using machine learning, the dynamic priority intelligently prioritizes backup jobs using the following criteria:
- Strike Count
The strike count for a subclient is defined as the number of failures that happened since the last successful backup job of the same backup level. The strike count is computed dynamically.
- Estimated Completion Time
The estimated completion time is calculated based on previous backup job patterns of the same backup level on the subclient. The estimated completion time is calculated using machine learning.
- Priority Calculation
When backup jobs have equal priorities at the operation, client, and agent levels, the subclient with the greater strike count is prioritized.
If backup jobs also have equal strike counts, the subclient with the higher estimated completion time is prioritized.
Last modified: 12/5/2018 6:12:36 PM