Creating a DB2 Subclient for Log Files
Archive logs are required to recover database transactions that have been lost due to an operating system or disk failure. You can apply these archive logs to an online backup in order to recover a database.
The default subclient includes data and logs.
A log backup is always a full backup.
Best Practice: Create a separate subclient for log backups.
Before You Begin
- From the CommCell Browser, expand Client Computers > client > DB2 > Instance.
- Right-click the backup_set, point to All Tasks and then click Create Subclient.
The Create New Subclient dialog box appears.
- In the General tab, in the Subclient name box, enter a name for the subclient.
- On the Content tab, clear the Backup Data check box.
- On the Storage Device tab from the Data Storage Policy list, select the storage policy that the software uses for data backups.
- On the Advanced Options tab, select the options for this subclient
- Select the Backup Log Files check box.
- Optional: To use the DB2 DEDUP_DEVICE parameter, select the Use Dedupe Device check box and set the Parallelism value to 0.
When this is enabled, the DB2 deduplication parameter DEDUP_DEVICE is used. This feature is available starting on DB2 version 9.7 with FixPack 3.
For additional information about the DB2 DEDUP_DEVICE parameter, go to the DB2 Knowledge Center, DEDUP_DEVICE.
- Optional: To delete the logs after the backup, select the Delete Log Files After check box.
This deletes the logs from the archive log path. You can optionally delete the logs after a specified time period. For more information, see Setting the Time Used for Deleting Older Archive Logs.
- Optional: To disable the log switch, select the Disable Switch Current Log check box.
When the switch is on, the current redo log file is closed (even if it is not filled up completely) and the next redo log file is used for writing using a log switch. The closed redo log file is then archived during the log phase.
- Click OK to close the Create New Subclient dialog box.
Last modified: 7/20/2018 1:10:16 PM