Preinstallation Checklist for the SQL Server Agent on Windows
Use this preinstallation checklist to prepare the computer where you will install the SQL Server Agent, and to gather all the information required during the installation.
Verify System Requirements
Verify that the computer where you will install the Microsoft SQL Server Agent satisfies the minimum requirements. For more information, see System Requirements - SQL Server Agent.
Verify License Requirements
Based on the licensing mechanism used in your CommCell environment, verify that the CommCell has the required licenses to use the SQL Server Agent. For more information, see License Requirements - SQL Server Agent.
Determine the Installation Location
Based on your environment, install the SQL Server Agent on the appropriate computer.
Where to install the software
On the computer where the SQL Server resides
On the physical nodes of the cluster where the SQL Server resides
Gather Installation Data
Refer to the items in this section to gather the information that you will need during the installation. Record the information before you begin installing the software so that you can refer to it during the installation.
You can install the SQL Server Agent by using either the CommCell Console or the installation package created by the Download Manager. Any item that applies to only one of these installation methods is noted.
Commvault Package to Install
Install the SQL Server package, which is under the Database category.
If the File System Agent is not installed on the computer, the File System Core and File System packages are automatically installed with the package you selected. The File System Agent will not consume a license.
To gather the required information for the File System Agent, refer to "Gather Installation Data" in the Preinstallation Checklist for the Windows File System Agent.
Client Computer Details
If the File System Agent or another package is already installed on the computer, you are not required to gather all the computer details again. The level of detail depends on how the package you selected is installed, as follows:
- For installations using the CommCell Console, the installation program requests only the name of the client computer.
- For installations using the installation package, the installation program reads the details from the previous installation.
SQL Server Details
- If the option to install SQL Server is disabled, verify that there is at least one network protocol enabled. For SQL Server 2005, go to SQL Server Configuration Manager and then enable protocols for each instance.
- Microsoft SQL Server Management Objects (SMO) is required on the client machine. SMO is installed as part of the Client Tools SDK during the SQL Server installation, or you can install Shared Management Objects from the SQL Server feature pack.
- If you have configured SQL Server with a non-default port (any port except 1433), then the SQL Server Browser service must be running to allow the Commvault software to interface with the SQL services. If you cannot enable the SQL Server Browser service due to security issues, then create an alias that specifies the non-default port number in use.
For more information, see Create or Delete a Server Alias for Use by a Client.
User Accounts and Permissions
Verify that the user account used to back up the SQL server is accurate. For more information, see User Account Configuration for the SQL Server Agent.
Last modified: 11/7/2019 3:25:37 AM