HPV0022: Backup fails when using third party hardware VSS provider: "VSS service or writers may be in a bad state."
When you have installed a hardware VSS provider provided by a storage vendor, IntelliSnap backups fail with the following error:
Error Code: [91:8]
Description: Unable to snap virtual machine [<VM_Name>]. VSS service or writers may be in a bad state. Please check vsbkp.log and Windows Event Viewer for VSS related messages. Or run 'vssadmin list writers' from command prompt to check state of the VSS writers; if the 'Microsoft Hyper-V VSS Writer' reports an error, please restart the 'Virtual Machine Management Service' (vmms.exe).
The filer's hardware VSS provider might not be able to create a shadow copy for the snapshot.
Configure the VSSProvider additional setting to use the software VSS provider from Microsoft:
- To find the ID, run the following command on the client computer:
vssadmin list providers
- Copy the provider ID for the software VSS provider from Microsoft.
An example of a provider ID is 400a2ff4-5eb1-44b0-8a05-1fcac0bcf9ff.
- From the CommCell Browser, navigate to Client Computers.
- Right-click the client and select Properties.
- Click Advanced, then click the Additional Settings tab.
- Click Add.
- On the Add Additional Settings dialog box, provide the following information:
- Name: Type VSSProvider.
- The Category field is automatically set to VirtualServer and the Type field is set to STRING.
- In the Value file, enter the VSS Provider ID for Microsoft.
- Click OK to save additional settings, advanced settings, and client properties.
Your backup operations will use the VSS Provider from Microsoft.
Last modified: 10/30/2018 6:27:24 PM