Full System Recovery of Informix Database: Restoring the Informix Database
Restore the Informix database in the event of a disaster.
Before You Begin
It is recommended you avoid performing a salvage backup (e.g., zeroing out the root dbspace before restoring or performing a physical whole system restore plus a logical whole system restore).
- Add a instance on the destination host. Ensure that you are including the parameters that were used for the instance before the system failure.
- On the destination host, start up the instance and then shut down the instance.
- Log into the destination host and navigate to the $INFORMIXDIR/etc directory and perform the following file copies (using "cp"):
ixbar.$serevrnum to ixbar.$servernum.org
onconfig.$servername to onconfig.$servername.org
oncfg_$servername.$servernum to oncfg_$servername.$servernum .org
Follow the instructions in Browse and Restore to cross-restore the ixbar and onconfig files on the CommCell Console from the source host's backups. Modify the onconfig.$servername.org file to be identical to the onconfig.$servername file (i.e., ensure that DBSERVERNAME, SERVERNUM, and ROOTPATH are the same).
Finally, copy the onconfig.$servername.org file to the onconfig.$servername file.
- Log into the destination host and prepare dbspaces that refer to the oncfg files. All dbspaces physical paths must be the same (e.g., prepare the cooked file space, cat /dev/null > $INFORMIXDIR/dbs/test1/data/testdbs1.c1,
chmod 666 $INFORMIXDIR/dbs/test1/data/testdbs1.c1,
chown -R informix:informix $INFORMIXDIR/dbs/test1/data/testdbs1.c1)
- Try to restore the whole system by following the directions in Browse and Restore. Avoid performing a salvage backup (e.g., zeroing out the root dbspace before restoring or performing a physical whole system restore plus a logical whole system restore).
Last modified: 3/1/2018 8:06:11 PM