Enabling Space Reclamation From Removable Disk Drives and Plug and Play (PnP) Disk Libraries
Use the following steps to force the Data Aging jobs to logically and physically delete the data from media associated with Removable Disk Drives and Plug and Play (PnP) Disk libraries as soon as the data is pruned. This will ensure that the free space in the media is reclaimed and reused as soon as the space becomes available, instead of waiting for all the data in the media to be pruned, recycled and reused.
About This Task
Once this option is enabled, space will be reclaimed from media containing jobs that were written using the Removable Disk Drives and Plug and Play (PnP) Disk libraries, as soon as the Data Aging job is run.
Before You Begin
- Ensure that you have Commvault software version V11 with Service Pack 11 or higher on the CommServe server and MediaAgents attached to the Removable Disk Drives and/or PnP disk libraries.
- Note that this behavior applies to MediaAgents with software version V11 with Service Pack 11 or higher.
Older MediaAgents (with Service Pack 10 or lower) will follow the default behavior described in Recycling Media From Removable Disk Drives and Plug and Play (PnP) Disk Libraries.
- From the CommServe computer, open the command prompt and log on to the CommServe using qlogin.
- Run the following QScript using the exact parameters shown below:
qoperation execscript -sn setConfigParam -si "MMS2_CONFIG_ENABLE_REMOVABLE_MEDIA_PRUNING" -si "1" -si "466327236" -si "0" -si "1" -si "0" -si "1" -si "MM_CONFIG_SUBSYSTEM_MEDIAMANAGER" -si "Removable Media Pruning"
- Run the Data Aging job as described in Running a Data Aging Job.
- Space associated with the pruned jobs will be reclaimed and will be available for new jobs. This includes jobs that meet the retention criteria and/or jobs which were deleted from the media.
You can view the available free space and the existing contents of a media as described in View the Contents of a Media.
- Media Properties does not accurately display the Size of Stored Data when data is physically pruned from the media.
Last modified: 10/15/2018 6:37:56 PM